Saturday, June 6, 2020

2020 - June 6 - Brown gravy sauce

Saturday 6 June 2020

During the week, Hein got this brown gravy recipe from his uncle ... apparently this was served with pies at Pietermaritzburg station cafe.

I looked at the quantity of ingredients and immediately divided the recipe by 3.  Ended up with:

300g pea flour, 1 packet soup, 166g bisto and 300g cake flour.

Searching for 'pea flour' it was recommended you use chickpea flour ... or blitz up dried green peas.  I had dried green peas in my pantry.

So what's pea flour? Apparently you can use chickpea flour - or grind dried green peas. I had green peas in pantry ...

I weighed 300g dried peas into my food processor. Blitzed ... and blitzed ... later on I was standing with my hand on the processor blitzing, while playing a game on my phone. Phew. It took forever!!!

Then I sifted the blitzed peas ... hahaha, I only ended up with ... wait for it ... 65 g pea flour!!!! That's it. I calculated my already divided recipe furthermore ... ended up with



65g pea flour,
11g oxtail soup,
36g bisto and
65g flour.

Done.

Bought Eskort pork bangers for braai. Used 2 cups of boiling water in saucepan ... 2 teaspoons of gravy mixture. Nah, looks weak. Added 2 more. In the end, I used 12 teaspoons gravy powder for 2 cups boiling water. Heated it up ... it was really thick. (Should have used 10 tsp gravy to 2 cups water)

But it was delicious!!!  Hein said from memory it tasted like the ones at Pietermaritzburg station cafe!


No comments:

Post a Comment