Thursday, June 4, 2020

2020 - June 4 - Marmite Banana Muffins

Thursday 4 June 2020

Tuesday one of my teeth fillings fell out.  I went to the dentist on Wednesday.  Filled it quickly - said there was another tooth that needed a filling.

This morning I walked 4,5 km around the house and off to the dentist again.  After the filling, I chatted to Maxine (the dentist's wife and receptionist) and she told me one of her fav sandwiches is:  toast, topped with Marmite and slices of banana.

Of course that just grabbed me.  Bought the bananas and Marmite and made them using my Bovril & cheese muffin recipe.

Lovely muffins - but the banana wasn't there .. I realised my bananas weren't ripe enough.  So I first thought to make a frosting/icing with bananas and then thought ... no ... I'll just squish bananas, cover them with bit of soda water, mixed it and put that on top of Marmite muffins.  Deeelish!!!!



Marmite banana muffins
Inspired by Maxi Jordaan (Dentist Derek Jordaan’s wife)
Makes 12 muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup marmite
12 slices banana (IT MUST BE RIPE, OTHERWISE you don’t taste them!)

Preheat oven to 190 oC.  Prepare a 12 muffin pan.  In large bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder.  In small bowl beat the egg, Marmite, milk and oil together.  Mix the wet with dry ingredients lightly, do not beat.  Spoon tablespoon mixture into muffin holes, press 2 banana slices onto and top with more mixture.  Bake for 20 minutes or golden.  Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.

Banana topping:

2 bananas
Soda water

With a fork, squish bananas in a bowl.  Add about ¼ cup soda water (to cover the bananas) – beat it together.  The soda water will prevent bananas to go brown.  Spoon onto muffins.

Recipe:  Alma Pretorius

No comments:

Post a Comment