Friday, May 8, 2020

2017 - February - passion fruit recipes - cape town trip


My neighbour Sue said she had PLENTY of granadillas (passion fruit) and maybe I should use that in an issue ... I thought ... I know you get passion fruit on cheesecake ... and uh uh .... so I started to surf the Net ... and wowsa!!!!!!

Cordial, syrup, chutney, chili sauce, chicken and muffins ... who would have thought!

Put some passion in your cooking by trying out one of these recipes.  Only 6 this time to choose from .... obviously I loove every single recipe!!! 





I trust you have a Green month ahead!  What’s up for next month?  Who knows.

Have a fabulous month!!!

Grab a piece of leftover Valentine chocolate, sink into a comfy chair and read my longer Windy Cape Town chat:

Tuesday 7 Feb 2017
Hein said he had some business in Cape Town .. do I want to tag along.  After checking the flights, I started packing my suitcase.  Heehee ... in a hurry I was.  When checking for rental cars, we realized there was some political stuff going on, so no cars for hire.  Okay ... we’ll just Über.  Not wanting to stay in a hotel or bed & breakfast, we booked a self-catering flat in Table view.  One block from the sea and when you sit in bed, you see Table Mountain and the sea.


Not bad for an early Valentine celebration.  Flying on Wednesday 8 Feb 2017, I spent the Wednesday morning making 4 of this issue’s recipes.  Not wanting to check in our luggage, we managed to pack 2 gym bags – we even stood on the scale to weigh them.  

At Lanseria airport, we sat outside on the patio at Wiesenhof for lunch.  I loved the look of the Roosterkoek (grid cake) with grated Cheddar cheese.  Hein had stywe pap, tomato relish, boerewors, egg, bacon and toast.  I looked at my plate ... no grated Cheddar cheese ... only slices of processed cheese.  I cut into my roosterkoek and although it had lovely grid marks on the outside, it wasn’t crispy.  Really??  It’s like ordering toast and your toast is not crispy.  I sent it back and snagged some of Hein’s toast, bacon and egg.  Sigh.

Arrived after 5pm in Cape and the wind was in full force!  We stood outside an exit to wait for our Über and the wind blew my hair gel out of my spiky hair!!!!  The smokers had a really hard time lighting up ... stood in corners of the building.  Yeah, not pleasant!

  
At the flat, I quickly unpacked, looked at all the kite surfers (and there were loads of them!) and then walked a few blocks to Catch 22 (https://www.catch22restaurant.co.za/), a steak and seafood restaurant, meeting up with a friend.  


It was around 7pm and we didn’t book, but luckily a table was available.  The place was buzzing!!!  The waitress was amazing!!!!  Told us only certain fish was available.  When Hein ordered the Fillet on the Bone, she had to check with the chef ... some of the steaks were over-matured!  

Hein was in luck so he ordered the THICK cut Fillet on Bone with Madagascan green peppercorn sauce, sautéed potatoes with crispy onions on top and veggies.  He said although he’s used to a creamy version of green peppercorn sauce, this was more butter/oil-based but still good.  Everything on his plate was yum!  

Chris had T-bone steak with baked potato, sour cream and onion rings.  He said it was GOOD.  I ordered a starter of chilli-crusted, deep fried calamari tubes served with peanut satay sauce.  Calamari was tender and deeeeeeelicious!!!  



I also ordered side orders of garlic-cheese baguette (for the table) and battered onion rings.  It was okay.

Dessert was a gingerbread milkshake ... oh my goodness!!!!  It tasted exactly like gingerbread cookies ... but a smooth version!  What a stunning restaurant!  Interesting menu, excellent service and not ‘over-the-top- prices.

Thursday 9 Feb 2017 – drinking coffee while watching the sea was amazing!  Wind was still blowing but we managed to again walk the few blocks to Melissa’s (http://www.melissas.co.za/) for breakfast.  Decor is really spectacular and all the yummy goodies on display .... but sadly, that’s all it is.  I wanted to order the Croque Monsieur -  I was told I couldn’t.  No reason given.  Also there were no SALMON available.  Hein ordered a croissant with scrambled eggs and bacon.  Croissant was crispy and buttery, scrambled eggs were good, but the bacon ... or should I rather call it ‘pork fat lightly called bacon’.  There were a few slices but mostly fat!  A few thin strips of meat on the ‘bacon’.  Uggh.

I eventually decided to order a toasted baguette with bacon jam, poached egg and rocket leaves.  The bacon jam was good, as was the egg and rocket.  BUT the baguette was really resistant to cutting with my butter knife! 
Why can people not just give you a sharp / steak knife?  When I called the manageress and told her our gripes, her reason for the Croque Monsieur was they didn’t have spring onions.  Anyway.  Not again!! 

You may think we like to grumble in restaurants, but look ... we pay for our food!  We don’t get it for free and sometimes the prices aren’t low ... so yes, if I order something and it’s not up to standard .. I will calmly tell them to remove the dish and no – you cannot redo the dish for me ... if you’ve got it wrong the 1st time, why would you get it right the 2nd time? 

Hein had a meeting so he helped me find an Über.  I was on my way to Greenmarket Square Cape.  Walked around the streets, mostly African-based products.  At an indoor African market, I bought an orange leather heart key-ring (to use as an earring).  I've added orange buttons - cute!

A brightly colored canvas caught my eye ... it was an African woman with a headdress ... but I think only the headdress and her eyes were painted ... the rest of picture were glued-on beads!!!!  Even her face had these tiny beads.  It was brilliantly done!  


In Adderley Street, Town Square, there’s a XPresso coffee shop (https://www.zomato.com/capetown/xpresso-caf%C3%A91-cbd) (you may remember I wrote about the one in Durbanville!) So this one also sells EVERYTHING for R10!  

But the cool thing ... there was a beggar opposite the cafe, so when I asked the staff, they said I could buy a R10 voucher and they give it to him .. and he can then choose what he want.  How brilliant is that!   Walked through the Food Lovers’ Market and through a few other streets.  I was tired now.  So on my own, I ordered an Über that took me back to the flat.  What absolute pleasure these Über cars .. no need to worry about parking, traffic, nothing!

At the flat, it was around lunch time and Hein said he had another meeting in Century City .. he could drop me off at Canal Walk Mall.  My tiredness gone, yes let’s go!  At the KFC I had a chicken thigh and small chips.  Yummy!!!  This Canal Walk mall is BIG!!!  I walked in and out of shops and found another earring ... a red leather owl keyring.  

But seriously, after all this walking I nearly had blisters from my flip flops.  Sipped a peanut butter smoothie for strength and was picked up by Hein and Chris.  

After 5 pm we walked the few blocks to News Cafe for dinner.  The wind was blowing madly!!!  I hold onto Hein – of course the kite surfers loved it!  This News Cafe Table View (https://www.zomato.com/capetown/newscafe-1-table-view/info ) is really great!!!  



Hein had a mushroom and cheese burger with chips and pepper sauce on the side.  The pepper sauce was actually just a white sauce.  


I ordered Smoky BBQ chicken wings with blue cheese sauce (yummy!) and side order of Mac n Cheese.  The Mac n Cheese was quite bland, so we added the blue cheese sauce and some red Tabasco sauce and it was great!  

Hein had some whisky for ‘dessert’ but News Cafe doesn’t have desserts.  Only carrot cake (can be too dry) or chocolate caramel cake (can be too bland and dry) or ‘naked’ baked cheesecake.  How boring!!! 
So I asked what ‘freak’ shakes they had (not the ones with all the cream / biscuits / cotton candy) on top, but something other than the normal.  They had a cherry and white chocolate milkshake.  I asked the waitress to bring me a deep salad bowl.  With a slice of ‘naked’ baked cheesecake.  And the cherry and white chocolate milkshake that I want to pour over the cheesecake.

This waitress absolutely CRINGED!!!  And said no no no!!!  It will be too sweet!  I said ... pretty please, can I have that.  It was absolutely delicious!  Not too sweet, but real good!

So it was still light outside when we walked back to the flat, but the wind was still blowing fierce!  In front of us an older couple walked.  He with 2 boxes of pizza.  The next moment the wind flipped the lid of one box and down went some slices of pizza on the street!!  The poor guy gave the other box to his wife and struggled to pick up the slices.  But as soon as he had them in the box, the wind would flip the lid again and down the slices went.  Eventually he managed to pick up all the slices.  Then he wanted to take the box from his wife, but she held onto that box like it was the last meal!!!  Oh dear, what a shame that was!!!

Friday 10 Feb 2017 
We woke up with clear skies and no wind!  The sliding doors at our bedroom were open the whole night and the waves breaking on the beach was just so soothing.  After coffee, we decided that News Cafe will have us for breakfast.  In this glorious morning we walked the few blocks.  Sat outside the News Cafe and ordered a Mexican Sunrise.  


It’s quite a big breakfast for R98 ... but we told them we’ll share it.  Fried chorizo slices, refried beans, egg, toast, avo, corn fritters, tomato salsa and crumbled feta.  The kitchen was clever and divided the dish into 2 small pans.  It was absolutely delicious!!!!!!

Deciding that we’ll celebrate an early Valentine in Camps Bay for dinner, Hein went to a few meetings and I stayed in the flat, reading and gazing at the mountain and sea.  

I booked a table at Mezepoli (https://www.zomato.com/mezepolicampsbay) for 7pm.  Just after 5pm we ordered another Über to Camps Bay ... boy, the traffic was really bad!!!!  And of course, no hope of parking at the Promenade, Camps Bay.  At 6pm we walked into Mezepoli and sat at our reserved table ... right next to the pavement, overlooking the sea.  It was a GLORIOUS Cape Town day!  People were walking around in swimsuits, shorts, flip flops and sunglasses.  Loads of tourists passed us and we gawked at the fashion and people.



A virgin Mojito was my drink, while Hein struggled with a lukewarm beer (apparently the overseas visitors prefer a warm beer).  In November 2015 we’ve been to Mezepoli so we decided to again order tapas dishes.  Pita bread with tzatziki and hummus dips.  Just delicious!  





Small plates we ordered:  beef kebab with chips, black olives, Mama’s meatballs, grilled Sardines (for me) and grilled calamari tubes filled with feta and red peppers and more pita bread.  Everything was just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hein ordered a glass of white wine and nearly choked on an olive when he saw the bill ... R72 for a glass of wine???  


Dessert was .. of course ... Baklava with black Greek coffee.  Out of this world!!!  By then it was nearly 8pm and the whole vibe of the street was gearing towards cocktails and party!  It was a good time to leave.  Über back to the flat. 

Saturday 11 February 2017 
8 am we ordered an Über, handed in the flat keys and off to the airport.  What a stunning little visit to Cape Town!

Moroccan – If you live in Gauteng and love Moroccan food, this is a lovely place to visit:  The Moroccan House, Atterbury Road, Pretoria (http://www.moroccanhouse.co.za/rooftop-cafe.php). They are only open for breakfast and lunch Monday to Saturday, no dinners and are closed on Sundays. 

YOU HAVE TO BOOK!  What a fabulous little restaurant .... richly decorated in Moroccan colors and with fabulous Moroccan decor articles displayed all over!  Tagine pots on the steps leading to the cafe, tagine pots on pillars on corners, shoes, tassels, small tiles, leather bags with fabric inlays ....

YOU HAVE TO BOOK IN ADVANCE!  They are not open for dinner or on Sundays.

If you visit their website, DO have a look at their guesthouse suites ... oh my goodness, it's soo rich and opulently decorated!!!

Saturday 18 February 2017
There's an outside 'garden' area with tables and then the rooftop cafe (seats about 32).  Alongside the one wall are shelves filled with flavored oils, rose jam (a must try), olives, preserved lemons, Turkish delights and spices.  My only comment would be that the shelves are a bit 'hidden' behind tables, so either you're going to bother the customers at the tables, or you just won't be able to browse the shelves.  Maybe they can display these goodies on the lower floor ...

Placemats have little tassels on the sides.  Miniature tagine pots host coarse salt, coarse black pepper and a cumin spice mix.  
When you order coffee / tea, cubes of sugar on a saucer entices you to sweeten your brew.

Traditional Moroccan mint tea is a real display ... the waiter stands next to the glass and from up high he pours the tea out of a teapot!  


The Arabica coffee is delicious but real sweet ...   The Cardamom milk coffee is milky and fragrant.  Complimentary spiced olives in oil are a real treat to start this Moroccan journey.  



Breakfast have only a few options, which make deciding SOOO much easier!  I asked to taste the rose jam and it was such a delight!  I wanted to order the North African breakfast muffin (with rose jam and cheese) but unfortunately it was sold out.  Next time!!!  Instead I started off with dessert ... Orange Blossom and Turkish Delight Cheesecake served in a Moroccan glass.  I expected something more fragrant, but it was a lovely (not too sweet) dessert.  On top was a jelly with small pieces of Turkish delight, served with fresh strawberries on top. ... deeelish!

Hein, Lana and Lucian ordered each a Kefta Tagine ... dished in a glazed Tagine pot, eggs are poached in a yummy Charmoula (tomato) relish, served with small meatballs and crispy pita squares on the side!!!! 



My choice was the Charmoula Tagine without meatballs.

For a sweet nibble, I chose 2 Date and Nut squares and Lucian ordered the Ghorbia with hazelnuts (a gluten free cookie).  It was delicately presented on a 2-tiered cake stand.

The bill was in another Moroccan glass with tiny squares of a lightly colored Turkish delight ... not Rosewater.

Afterwards we browsed the shelves and I bought 2 colorful tassels (for earrings) and a tiny shoe key ring (also for earring).


What a fabulous brunch!!!!  I cannot wait to return for lunch and a shared platter of Moroccan delicacies!!!  And maybe stay over a night ....





No comments:

Post a Comment