Thursday, May 14, 2020

2020 - April 27 - apple cheese muffins

Monday 27 April 2020


Somewhere I saw a recipe using apples and cheese in a pie … so I thought … hmmmm

There are always cheese in our fridge.  Hein put Golden Delicious apples in our thorn tree for the birds, so I snatched an apple..

Using an easy cheese muffin recipe that I've adapted myself, I thought ... I'll just add the apples.

Cheese apple muffins – makes 6 small muffins – double ingredients for 12 muffins

1/2 cup cheddar (or Gouda) cheese, grated
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup granny smith apples, cubed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sunflower oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 205 oC. Grease 6 muffin pan. (I put squares of foil in each hole and spray it – keep muffin pan ‘clean’.) 

Mix the flour with cheese, apple cubes and oregano. Add the milk, oil, salt & pepper - mix. It will be a stiff mixture. Spoon into the 6 holes and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes, carefully remove the foil and let it cool down for 5 more minutes on wire rack. Enjoy
Alma Pretorius


The cheese-apple muffins were great!!!  In future, I would use a really mature cheddar for a sharper taste.

Thinking about the lemon curd muffins ....

While I was doing my ‘around the house’ walk, I thought about what to change to the lemon curd muffins I've made … the muffins were great, but I wanted a more citrus punch of flavor!

So I thought … if I use lemon jelly powder instead of white sugar, that should increase the citrus taste.  But when I got to the shops, they didn’t have the lemon jelly powder I wanted … so I bought orange jelly powder instead.  Also bought a small box of mixed citrus peel.

When you browse the jelly powder shelf again ... look at the back of the packages.  The normal Moirs' brand has a sugar content of  about 14g per 100g contents.  The Pick 'n Pay brand ... has a sugar content of 90g per 100g!!!!!!!  Ridiculous!!!!

And once again, I filled my muffin cups too much!!!!  Why?  Cause I used a 6 muffin pan for another kind of muffin – and then I’ve already filled the other 6 muffin pan with these lemon curd orange muffin mixture … ugggh.

But these muffins were absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sooo citrussy!!!!  Will try this again with lemon jelly powder.

Lemon curd orange muffins
Makes 6 big muffins

1 cup flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup Moir's orange jelly powder
1 large egg
100g chopped glazed orange peel
½ cup milk
¼ cup veg oil
Little less than ½ cup lemon curd

Preheat oven to 205 oC.  Prepare 6 muffin pan.   

In small bowl, beat the egg, milk, oil and lemon curd together.  In bigger bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Add the liquid ingredients and stir with fork.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove, let cool in pan for 5 minutes.  Carefully remove the muffins, remove the foil and let cool on wire rack / plate. Note:  I’ve filled my muffin holes too much, so it didn’t make nice dome on top.

Alma Pretorius












No comments:

Post a Comment