Tuesday, May 12, 2020

2019 - April - Easter egg ideas


Is everyone eggcited about the upcoming long weekend (in South Africa our easter weekend is from Friday 19 April till Monday 22 April)?  I do believe we’re in for an eggtr Winter!!

Hopefully you won’t have an eggcessive  amount of chocolate eggs to bite into … just try and do a bit of eggsercise and you’ll be fine.

If you’re travelling, please don’t eggcelerate over the speed limit – the cops always have eggsact camera proof, they need to make eggsamples of speeding drivers.  And don’t try to eggsplain to them why you were speeding … they may just eggsterminate your license!

With this issue, I wanted to compile some clever ideas to decorate your Easter table … and a few EGGCELLENT ‘fake’ egg eating ideas!!!!!  That’s just super eggstraordinaire!  














Thanks for all the lovely and chatty emails!!!  I always enjoy reading them.

Send me pictures of your Easter tables, your yummy food and your egg hunts!

A while back I started to chat with Beatrix – we were both cycling in the gym.  She’s part of the Kolping Society (http://www.kolpingjhb.co.za/) (some of her ancestors).  They go to Soweto weekly and teach people to make candles, etc – for them to resell.  Beatrix knows I’m into food.

Inviting the ladies (and 1 gentleman) to Randburg, Beatrix asked if I would come and show them how to make peanut butter and microwave jam.  A few bags of raw peanuts were brought from Limpopo …  They also wanted to learn how to make quick-ish earrings.

Last week Wednesday I arrived at the Kolping house – my nerves were a bit shot.  13 Ladies and 1 Gentleman.  Tables were pushed together to form a big square and they all sat around it.  There was no time wasted in diving into making earrings!  It was really impressive … they knew exactly how to use the pliers for the earring hooks & loops.  Some of them make some intricate necklaces (with tiny tiny beads!) – some made quick easy earrings using denim jeans’ loops.

After a few hours (and me being on my feet the whole time), I separated them in 2 groups. 1 Group started to cut up pineapples for jam and prepare seeded grapes for jam too.  I have made jam in the oven before … you need 2 glass rectangular dishes that can fit next to each other .. you then line 1 dish with foil and add sugar … the cut up pineapple goes into the other dish.  And you bake it.  After the required time, you add the sugar to the fruit with some lemon juice and you SHOULD have jam.  But this time it didn’t work … the dishes were too big to fit next to each other, so I had to put them below each other.  The sugar got too hot – oh my goodness, I nearly jumped into my car and drove home!!!! 

Now the peanut butter … personally I think it’s a whole waste of time and energy.  So we had this raw peanuts with the brown paper skins on -  so first the peanuts have to roast in the oven – THEN THE SKIN has to be rubbed off … it’s then ground in a food processor till smooth (you add little salt and oil to help the process).   After the peanuts were cooled down from roasting, some of the ladies started the ‘skin rub’ process … it’s a process!  They stick to the nuts, the nuts are tiny ….  After about 1 cup was skinned, we blended it in a blender (we didn’t have a food processor that day), added some peanut oil and they all liked it!

With everyone having the recipes printed out and in their hands, I let them do the microwave jam.  Seedless grapes were bought at a reasonable price (look, you can use normal grapes, but then you sit with the seeds … and yes, I know there’s a method of adding something to the jam to let the seeds rise to the top, but I can’t remember what it was.)  Anyway, so they were all excited and took turns opening the microwave, stirring and checking the consistency.

When you make microwave jam, it only needs 500 g fruit – so it’s not recommended for when you want to sell in big amounts … makes about 1 x 300ml jar.  The teams switched and then they made another batch of grape microwave jam, but since we had more pineapples, we also made that in another microwave.  Pineapples are tricky … lots of water content, so they took a bit longer!

For another group I showed them how to cut baby marrows in long strips – heat vinegar, sugar, peppercorns & bay leaves – pour over the baby marrows and you have a pickle.  We did the same with precut carrots.      After 6 hours on my feet, I was finished!  Some of the girls cleaned the kitchen, they gave me a little speech and a small pot plant.

Remember the pizza recipe I talked about last time?  So a lady emailed me and said that she forgot to prick the base before baking it for 9 minutes …. And it actually puffed up – almost like a pita bread!  So of course I had to try it, and yes!  Sooo fabulous!

A gym friend gave me a small container of CHICKEN BIRYANI – so I scooped that on top of my pizza crust, sprinkled with cheese and baked it – IT WAS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!!!!

My throat is dry, my fingers cramp and I wish you all a happy few holi-days!





No comments:

Post a Comment