Wednesday, May 13, 2020

2020 - April 5 - sweet potato and butternut bake


Sunday 5 April 2020

Today I am thankful for substitutes ...

One of my other quirks in the kitchen ... I sometimes don't read the whole recipe.  So I start with a recipe and realized ... I don't have an ingredient.

Or in this case, I had all the ingredients except for the cream .... and I really didn't want to risk driving to the shop during lockdown for cream.

I Googled for substitutes and used double cream yogurt with milk.

Sweet potato & butternut dish

500g butternut, peeled, cubed
500g sweet potato, peeled, cubed
1 big (or 2 small) onions, cubed/rings
50 g packet soup powder (Knorr Thick Veg / Brown onion / White onion)
250 ml cream *(see note for substitute)
Grated cheese

Steam the butternut & sweet potato for 25 minutes.
Mix the butternut, sweet potato & onion in oven dish. Sprinkle the soup powder over. Pour the cream over (or the yogurt/milk substitute). Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake without lid for 45 min.
*Substitute: 250 ml double cream (Greek yogurt + ¼ cup milk)
Recipe: Kos vir kampeerders met idees vir kampering


Was stunning!






No comments:

Post a Comment