Friday, May 8, 2020

2016 - September - Celebrating


2016 September 21

Hein and I met on a blind date (and she phoned me, he’ll quickly tell you ... which I did) on 31 August 1991.  
So to celebrate 25 years, we decided to have dinner.  Someone mentioned this amazing chocolate dome dessert at the Maximillien Restaurant, Da Vinci Hotel, Sandton.  We booked.

Wednesday 31 August 2016
Although it’s a fancy-ish restaurant, I must admit that I really wasn’t impressed with the menu.  There was just nothing that jumped out and grabbed me.  Which is sad.  





The fresh bread rolls with butter was delicious!  Hein had a steak with trimmings - in the end I settled for a chicken curry, but although very nice, really?  Anyway ... I was only there for the dessert.

So they blow up a balloon, dip it in melted chocolate and put it in freezer.  When they’re ready, the balloon has to be pricked carefully so that the chocolate mold doesn’t crack.  Very delicate operation.  A ball of ice cream is placed on a plate.  Then a perfectly baked chocolate fondant is placed next to the ice cream ball.  And I mean perfect ... crispy chocolate cake outside, melted lava inside.  The chocolate dome mold is then placed over these 2 balls.  A pitcher of hot caramel sauce is slowly poured in the center of this chocolate dome mold ... and the dome disappears so that you can see the 2 balls.  It is really a masterpiece!  And tasted absolutely divine!  If you have access to the internet, please check out my video of this dessert on Youtube: 


Here is my review of the Maximillien Restaurant.  https://www.zomato.com/johannesburg/maximillien-restaurant-sandown

Celebrating the 1st September, Spring Day, I wore a headband covered with flowers in the swimming pool!  What a hit!  Everybody had a smile on their face.  Isn’t that what life is about?  Making the most of it.

A few times now, we’ve been invited to a birthday celebration at a restaurant.  Which is convenient, each person pays for themselves, you can decide what you want to eat, the birthday person doesn’t have to deal with dishes afterwards ...

Except that the last 2 times we’ve been invited to restaurants where I had to force myself to order something I didn’t quite like ... at a higher than normal price.  Why you ask?  Because although the restaurants were fancy, their menu was just blah ... same old, same old!  The main reason I go to a restaurant is to order something that I can’t or won’t make at home.  Then I rather just go to Spur or McDonalds.  Heehee, guess what ... I actually love the Spur and McDonalds. 

A friend of mine visited this restaurant in Fordsburg the other day and this past weekend, we drove there.  Its at the Palm Continental Hotel, is called Lal Qila (my review:  https://www.zomato.com/johannesburg/lal-qila-mayfair) and what a lovely experience!  For lunch on a Saturday and Sunday, there’s a R165 per person buffet.  Over 70 dishes, including the condiments.  A few curry dishes, some Chinese dishes, pasta and even burgers and chips.

I loved their freshly baked naan bread!!! 

  They have this hollow oven - they place the raw naan on the inside walls of this oven and is baked.


 There were egg fried rice, alfredo pasta, chicken soup, chicken cream stew, mini chicken hamburgers, chips and then a few curry dishes.  



 The desserts were based on yogurt and real good.




 Also a grill station with lovely grilled meat and chicken pieces.  


Decor is lovely, parking is safe and plentiful and food is delicious!  I more or less had a bite of everything ... and 2 bites of the desserts! 

If you stay in Gauteng and have dogs ... I heard about this place outside Magaliesburg ..   http://www.saamrus.co.za/   - their chalets each has an enclosed area ... they want you to bring your dogs along!

My coffee mug is empty ... my throat dry ...  keep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment