Tuesday, May 12, 2020

2018 - May - date energy balls - tomato stew recipe


2018 May 21

It’s already 2 weeks since we’ve returned from our roadtrip … and what a fabulous time we had!!! 

If you want to have an energy snack, I’ve bought some of Pick n Pay’s ‘raw date fruit nut balls’ (3 for R20) but then decided I want to try my own … and what a great outcome!!!!  


This month we’re doing ENERGY BALLS!  And nope, no cooking.  No boiling.  No baking!  Just all SOFT dried fruits.  No oil … no honey … no sugar … no whey powder!!!!!  AND as soon as you’ve rolled it, these energy balls can be eaten!

The salted citrus peel brownie balls … hmmmmm.

Salted peanuts was my nut of choice …. But of course whatever nuts you want to use, will be perfect.    If you don’t like dates … this issue’s not for you!

Some of the recipes use raisins – substitute with other fruit.

I’ve had so much fun rolling these balls and I’m positive you’ll love it too!!!  Make them and put them in your (or yours’) lunch box, use it on hikes OR PACKAGE IT AS A GIFT!!! 
 
These balls can be kept in freezer or fridge.  But when you want to eat them, let them thaw to room temperature – the fruit flavors are more pronounced then.

Nuts – if you don’t know, all kinds of nuts (be it raw or salted) can be kept in the FREEZER!!!! 

Sorry, these are all balls – so yes, they do look a lot alike.  But you can roll them into coconut, cacao powder or sesame seeds for another look. 

Yes, I did try to ‘squeeze’ them into greased ice cube holders … but they were too crumbly to handle.  So even if you want to make bars – it may not work.  I think the secret of these balls in my issue is the fact that you ‘squish’ them in your hands (so added heat) and it molds the ingredients together.

You will need a food processor – sorry, a smoothie blender won’t do, I’ve tried it. 

It has to be SOFT dried fruit – for example, the dried banana chips are really not nice – no flavor at all.













The other day my sis in Perth said she’s having tomato stew .. so I thought … yeah, sounds good. According to a recipe I made it 2 weeks ago on the Sunday, but yes, I didn’t follow the recipe, so although good, it wasn’t what I wanted.  I filled a 2 liter ice cream container and gave it to a street beggar.

The next day I tried again … and my goodness,  what a yummy recipe!!!!!  It’s really easy, you pot everything in a pot and then let it simmer for 1 ½ hours to 2 hours.  But it’s sooooo worth it!!!!!!!  

Tomato stew a la Alma
Double easily



500 g beef shins, cut off the bones, keep bones (or other meat/chicken)

5 big fresh tomatoes, keep skin on, chop real fine

2 x 50 g sachets tomato paste (real important)

Garlic (optional)

Oil to fry in

1 onion, chopped

2 big potatoes, peeled, cubed small

Spices to taste

Ground black pepper

Coarse ground pepper

1 - 2 tbsp sugar

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Chillies (optional)



In oil, fry the onion and garlic till light brown.  Toss the beef shins in ground black pepper and fry till brown.  Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, other spices, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and cubed potatoes.  Simmer on no 3 on stove for about 2 hours (taste halfway through to see if you want to add more spice).  Let it cool down, refrigerate for next day.   Alma Pretorius


Remember I told you that I’ve been cutting out sweets/cakes/milkshakes, etc … after a month, I decided to just continue.  Since it still doesn’t bother me not eating all these sweet things (and my cholesterol dropped from 5.2 to 4.1), I’ll see how long I can continue with it.  It’s almost 2 months now.

Without further ado, I’ll leave you to print out the review and hopefully you’ll be inspired to go visit some of these spots!

Have a fabulous last week of May!

No comments:

Post a Comment