Tuesday, May 12, 2020

2018 - October - Hengelaarsvriend, Roodeplaat Dam


My youngest sister (42) Carla and her partner Jan has been living in Perth for 13 years.  Their last visit to South Africa was 9 years ago.  So somewhere at the beginning of 2018, we started to plan their visit to South Africa in October (which is now).

Their plan was to visit Gauteng for 4 nights … drive down to Cape Town … return to Gauteng for another 3 nights.  I looked for a chalet between Johannesburg and Pretoria (where my parents and other sister Sanet stays) – so I thought the chalets at Rietvlei Dam, Centurion would be nice.  There’s a dam, we’ve stayed at the chalets before … but unfortunately they were renovating the chalets.

Searching for other accommodation close (or at) a dam, I looked at the Roodeplaat Dam.  The bonus?  It was closer to my parents and sister. How do you get to Roodeplaat Dam?  You take the highway to Pretoria, then the Zambezi (Sefako Makgatho is the new name) offramp, turn right onto Zambezi, underneath highway, over 1st traffic light – at next big traffic light, you turn left on R537 (Moloto Road).  Then a few kilometres, there’s a really really nice Spar (Roodeplaat Spar) as well as Tops bottle store.  Just after the Spar, you turn right onto a little dirt road – the sign says ‘Joy Unspeakable’ (which is on the same premises as Hengelaarsvriend.

Looking at the pictures of this 1 place – Hengelaarsvriend (Anglers’ Friend) right on Roodeplaat Dam, it looked really good.  Few different options of chalets.   But since it’s not that far away from Joburg, I drove through one day, met up with Sanet and together we drove to the resort.   http://www.goingwhere.co.za/hengelaarsvriend

My goodness, the chalets are really close to the dam!!!!  Willow trees give shade, there are grass between the chalets and dam.  The 2 sleeper chalet – square wooden ‘hut’, right in front of you double bed with bedding (you have to take own towels).  Left against the wall is basin (cold water) for dishes, cabinets with counter for 2 plate spiral stove.  Tap water is drinkable. Burglar bars in front of windows.  In cabinets are basic pots and pans, cutlery and crockery for 2 people.  Small fridge.  On the little patio, there’s a wooden picnic table-bench set.  There’s no bathroom/toilet – one has to use the ablution block.  This 2-bed chalet is R725 per night.  It also has pretty lace curtains (as well as other curtains) at the windows.

We asked to see the 4-sleeper wood chalet.  It was just a little bit bigger – it also had the ‘kitchenette’ cabinets and counter on the left wall (with crockery and cutlery for 4 people).  Another basin (with cabinet below) for tooth brushing, face washing also on the left wall.  Some of the chalets have bigger fridge/freezers.  The 4-sleeper has a double bed, side table and a bunk bed.  So it’s ideal for couple with 2 smallish kids.  Bedding included, no towels.  Small patio, wooden picnic table-bench set.  R785 per night.

The ablution block is behind the chalets – so I chose 2 chalets that’s closest to the ablution block (no 40 and 41).  The ablution block is nice and clean.  Ladies’ side has 3 toilets with doors (although some doors don’t have a slide lock), 3 showers (inside the shower room there’s a bench for your clothes and toiletries – separated from the shower by a wall) and wash basins.  Toilet paper is supplied, but DO TAKE YOUR OWN TOILET PAPER too.

No restaurant on premises, wood can be bought at the reception.  A R500 cash key deposit is required – when you book out, your chalet is checked and deposit returned.  There is a shallow pool for kiddies (although funnily enough it’s open … not fenced in), another bigger pool.

There are also much bigger chalets (3 bedroom ones with own bathrooms) and campsites.  For day visitors, you pay R80 per person and R40 per car.

Carla booked her plane tickets and rental car.  Arriving at OR Tambo on Friday MORNING 5 am, 12th October.  Since any self-catering place only allows you to book in around 2pm, we decided to just book the 2 chalets from the previous day, Thursday 11 October.   With them arriving that early (and not sure if they’ll be tired), I asked Carla for a list of necessities …. Stuff like coffee, tea, muesli, energy bars, sunscreen, whisky, apples, naartjies, bananas, tuna in can (overseas you can buy canned tuna in olive oil – hopefully it will arrive sometime in our shops too), fish roe (viskuite), towels, etc.  That way we didn’t have to shop after they’ve landed.

After July 2018, I booked the 2 chalets, paid deposits and whatnot.  Then in September, the serious planning started.  With no aircon in the wooden chalets, we had to pack 2 floor fans.  Towels for shower and towels for swimming … it takes a lot of space!  Luckily when Carla and Jan fly back, the towels are kept and at least Hein and I will now have new towels.  Of course we have to pack the gazebo.  Even though the willow trees are next to the chalets, it’s just nice to have shade – and it’s rainproof.  A no 4 potjie, charcoal and wood was real high on the list.  The wood we bought beforehand and stored at my sister’s place.  All 15 bags of wood.  What can I say?  We really really love to make a fire.  Also, Carla and Jan in Perth only have a few months where they are allowed to make a wood fire.

Planning meals for 5 nights weren’t that bad … it’s just deciding how much chicken, how much beef shins for our Hungarian Ghoulash Stew Potjie, how much fresh veggies and salads to buy.  2 Picnic tables have to be packed too … and at that stage, we’re really starting to wonder if it will fit into Hein’s Volvo ….

With our Biltong King maker, I decided to make our own droëwors and Biltong.  Haven’t used the biltong maker for yonks!!!!!  Our butcher advised me to buy the thin boerewors … then simply hang it.  Which I did.  And with the biltong maker’s fan and globe, it was crispy and ready in 2 days!  For the biltong, the butcher said he’ll cut a piece of Silverside for me.  Then he’ll add vinegar and biltong spices, vacuum pack it for me.  I kept it in the fridge for 1 day, hung it the next morning and ‘wet’ biltong was ready in 3 days!!!  Bargain!!!!!!  After that, I bought more thin boerewors, as well as thick boerewors.  What a treat!

Some of the beef shins and chicken pieces I bought, asked the butcher to vacuum pack it and pack it into our freezer.

Tuesday 9 October 2018
I bought the fresh ingredients – Greek yogurt, milk, salad, tomatoes, veggies and fruit.  My lists gave birth to more little lists … and little lists turned into big lists.

Wednesday 10 October 2018
In a burst of energy, I cleaned the house, added more notes to my little and big lists and had black plastic crates ready for packing.  At that point, we both realized that we’ll have to pack both our vehicles.  Luckily the resort doesn’t have an issue with that … you just pay R55 extra per day. 

Thursday 11 October 2018
It’s P day – packing, packing and packing.  Hein had a business network meeting in Melville till 11 o’ clock.  I said that’s actually perfect … I can pack (and repack) and unpack at my own pace.  Now the wood at my sister’s place – my dad said he’ll pick up the bags of wood and meet us at The Green Olive (http://www.green-olive.co.za/) in Zambezi road.  (By the way, the Green Olive is a REALLY REALLY nice spot for coffee or breakfast/lunch.  They also host parties there.)  The plan was that I’ll tell my dad when we leave Joburg (which would have been around 12 o’ clock), so that my dad can then leave for the Green Olive.

Somehow I think my parents were just really excited, because when I drove to Katmandu cattery hotel with Sammy, our cat girl, (which was around 9h30), my dad phoned.  He said they were already at Green Olive.  Since they were really early, they will walk around the nursery part, drink and eat something and read the newspaper.

Dropping off Sammy, I stopped at Northgate Mall to buy a ‘pay as you go’ sim card for Carla’s phone.

Way way too many clothes were packed (but hey, a girl has to be prepared!), but luckily I packed a warm top for Hein as well as his ‘slippers’.  For me a few warm coats and my Schiphol soft ‘clog’ slippers.

We have 2 x (about) 100 litre plastic containers with lids.  Into the one, I packed most of the kitchen stuff … tins of veg, coffee, milk, toilet paper, plunger (for coffee), spices, paper plates, paper plate holders, tinfoil, serviettes, braai tongs, steak knives, etc etc.

Into the other big container I packed all our clothes.  For Hein I packed quite a few shorts and shirts – I knew we’ll make fire often and that smell in your clothes …  The towels and warm jackets and shoes had to go in another duffel bag. (I was really good, only 2 pairs of flops (1 black pair, 1 white pair), my soft clog slippers and a pair of ankle boots and socks.)  In another duffel bag I packed the toilet bags.  Yes, there were more than 1 toilet bag.  Remember, we’re using the ablution block’s shower … so Hein and I had to have our own toilet bags.

Then of course, I had to pack ANOTHER (though smaller) plastic crate for Carla’s chalet.  That was filled with all their stuff, as well as most of the droëwors and biltong.

By the time Hein arrived home after 11, I had reversed my Daihatsu Terios into the carport, folded down my back seats and were ready to go.  Hein changed into shorts, shirt and sandals and we started to pack … yes, both vehicles.  Oh, of course we had to pack 4 camping chairs too!!!

Anyway … when all was packed, we gave our remote to neighbor Debi (for just in case) and we left Joburg after 1pm.  Traffic towards Zambezi wasn’t that bad – I arrived at Green Olive just after 1h30 and was starving!!!  And wanted a cappu!!!!  Ordered a toasted ham, cheese and tomato and boy, what a surprise!  For R50,you get a triple sandwich!!!!  It was absolutely delicious!!!!!  Crispy buttered toast outside … side order of scrumptious potato wedges for R20.  Hein arrived, shared my sandwich and then we asked the GPS to show us the way.

Hahaha, boy, the GPS had a ball with us!  It took us the back roads … eventually we arrived at the R573 (Moloto Road) and I realised … it would have been easier to just go from Green Olive (that’s on Zambezi Road), towards the highway and turned into the R573.  Anyhoo…..

It was really hot … I was getting excited and after we paid the key deposits at the reception of Hengelaarsvriend, we drove to the 2 chalets.  I first checked both chalets and realized that BOTH chalets had big fridge/freezers!  Although both chalets were quite identical, no 41 had a Weeping Willow over the roof, so I chose that chalet for Hein and myself.  Looking at the dam, I couldn’t believe how close the water is to the chalets … about 20 metres!!!!  After we’ve unloaded both vehicles into the 2 chalets, we sat with my parents on the patio chatting … when the wind started to blow really hard.  The sky turned dark, so my parents left.

Right.  Unpacking time.  I should have had my cell phone with ‘step tracker’ on me … cause the amount of trips I made between the 2 chalets were just unreal!!!!  In Carla’s chalet (no 40), I place one of the picnic tables (there’s no cupboards in the chalets – so that will give them some more packing space).  That morning I’ve cut our King Protea from our garden … an absolute beaut!!!!!  With 1 of our pin cushion proteas, I placed it in water in a container on the table.  I then decided that I didn’t like where the double bed was … so I moved it around.  After an hour of going back and forth, I decided the new position of the bed isn’t practical, so I moved it back again.  (what can I say, I’m a nester).

Back at our chalet, I unpacked all our clothes.  Luckily I packed the shirts and top with hangers … so Hein had this brilliant idea of hanging them from the top bunk bed … so I had a ‘hanging wardrobe’. 
The rest of our undies, shorts and jeans I unpacked onto the beds.  (Yes, yes, I could have left it in the crates, but I really really really hate living out of a bag/crate.)  I then realized with a very loud bang … that 1 of the side windows (overlooking the next chalet and the next chalet’s side window) HAD NO CURTAIN.  I mean it had lace curtains, but only a short curtain at the top …. Now that’s just not right … anyone walking by can look in.  Hein got another brilliant plan …. Luckily I packed clothespins … and a pashmina (shawl), so we clipped the pashmina onto the short curtain with the clothespins.  Crisis over.

As quick as the wind arrived, it just left.  With a perfect sundowner, everything unpacked and in their places, Hein started the fire … He cracked a beer and we chilled in front of the fire, watched the birdlife on the dam.  A few chalets from us, a 2-sleeper, we saw a couple … with 4 fishing rods!!!!!  Serious business, this angling/fishing.  A few pieces of chicken, piece of boerewors and I steamed baby potatoes.  Adding garlic, butter and cheese to the steamed baby potatoes, we had a feast.  Sat on the patio’s picnic set – pure heaven.

After 8pm we doused the fire, brushed teeth, set the alarm for 3h30 am and slept.  Somewhere during the night, I got really cold.  The comforter on the beds are quite thin … and we had the fan going …

Friday 12 October 2018
3h30 am … not bothering to boil water for coffee (we realised that the 2 plate stove TAKE FOREVER to boil water – next time WE WILL PACK OUR ELECTRIC KETTLE), we had a shower.  So both Hein and I didn’t have the best of shower experience … in the men’s the shower head sprays in a circle … so if you stand in the centre, you’ll be dry.  Our shower was okayish, except there were a few extra sprays going another direction … over my face and head … I really didn’t like that at all.  Besides the fact that I didn’t want to wash my hair, I loathe water spray on my face.

Dressed we walked to the car and remember that couple with the 4 fishing rods?  I saw them sitting at their fire.  Hein went to chat and they stayed up ALL night – caught 3 fish.

Arrived at OR Tambo after 4h30 … COFFEE!  COFFEE!!!!!  But alas, everything still closed!  Carla’s plane arrived on time (4h50 am), so we stood at arrivals, watching … watching …. And then I saw Jan.  and Carla. 

Straight to Wimpy!  Coffee … coffee. Months ago I saw advertised this Australian slab chocolate – 1 had CC’s in (corn chips), the other had sea salt corn chips in.  Carla brought me both slabs!

Breakfast and then Carla and Jan picked up their rental car.  Followed us on the R21 to Hengelaarsvriend.  After they unpacked, it was close to 8am.  Hein started a wood fire and the 1st beer was cracked.  It was a gorgeous day!!!

The gazebo shaded us from the sun and we braaied … chilled … and braaied.  In the afternoon Carla, Jan and I decided to cool off in the pool.  So we got to the 1st ‘unfenced’ pool … Jan stood ready to dive … I got into the pool, said it was obviously the shallow side … slid down and kicked to the centre of the pool.  I stood up … and it was still the shallow side of the pool.  My goodness, luckily Jan didn’t dive!

Fenced in, the other pool was halfway in the shade.  Since I was already wet, I just got in and started to swim around.  Carla … hahaha, she got in halfway and said … it’s too cold!!!!!  Refreshed from our swim, we dried off and walked back.

Relaxed next to the chalets on the grass, the next moment I just heard this voice – my sister Sanet, her daughter Llanda and son AJ came to say hello to the Aussies.  It was a lovely surprise.  I bought a box of jelly lego pieces for AJ and we had a short but nice visit.  Llanda was busy the rest of the weekend, so it was great to see her.

That evening we … wait for it … wait for it …. Braaied again!!!  Chicken pieces, boerewors (with chilli in), curried green beans and couscous salad.  Absolutely pure heaven!!!!!!! 

Saturday 13 October 2018
After waiting for ages to boil water, we had coffee on one of the patio’s – munching on yummy rusks … weather a bit cold.  Expecting my family after 10 am, we only had a light breakfast so that we can enjoy the potjie we planned.

My parents arrived, as well as my sister Sanet, her hubby Eben, son AJ, daughter Didi (and Didi’s boyfriend Jacques).  A light wind was blowing, so we didn’t pitch the gazebo.  The fire was lit and the pot started.  The Hungarian Ghoulash stew is made with beef shins, beef stock, tomato paste, fresh tomatoes, baby tomatoes, tinned kidney beans, paprika, onion and fresh thyme.  Sanet looooves fishing, so she brought some fish rods for Jacques … we didn’t catch anything, but it was fun watching them.  While sipping on cold drinks, we tested the Australian chocolates (quite good) and packets of crisps.  Eben shared an interesting flavoured chip … Peri chicken … I just can’t find it in the shops now.


For hours we chatted, munched, sipped – shared stories, laughed, told jokes and had a fabulous time.  The wind was still blowing and it was overcast – and then the pot was ready.  Sanet heated tinned Samp & Beans and my mom made a delicious pea and egg salad.   With our ‘farlookers’ (binoculars) we checked out the other side of the dam … lots of serious fishermen, campers and right at the back, we could see long canoes (Academy for Canoe Development - http://www.academyforcanoedevelopment.com/).

I asked Sanet to bring us a thermo flask … cause this heating water for coffee was driving my dilly.  Didi showed me a word game on her smart phone ‘Wordscapes’ – oh my word, it’s sooo good!  I promptly downloaded it.

After 4pm, the weather turned really bad … drops started to fall, so my family left.  Sitting in our chalet, deciding what to do, the storm burst.  And I mean storm!  There were lightning, thunder and it poured with rain!!!!!  So later I heated some of the potjie and we just talked and had a relaxed time.  The water outside the chalet was a river!  Pieces of the surrounding area not grassed, was soo muddy.  We had to walk really carefully.  Bedtime.  Hein said we must buy some cards to play Rummy.  Looked out to the poor tenters … it seemed they all survived.

Sunday 14 October 2018
Coffee!!!  The weather was still bad … it would have been an absolute disaster for a potjie.  Carla and Jan visited my parents around 10 am.  For lunch we just had sandwiches.  Later the evening the weather was okay … so yes, the fire was lit.  Hein sprinkled big pork chops with Ina Paarman Seasoned Sea Salt … and boerewors and cheese, tomato and onion ‘braai broodjies’. (sandwiches on braai).  Oh my goodness, the chops were so yummy!!!!!!!!  And the broodjies …. To die for!!!!!

With dishes washed, we cracked a new box of play cards.  It was just too funny … for some reason, one of us would be distracted … and would wait for their turn … when it already was.  We each had a turn winning.  Next time we should also pack Scrabble.

Monday 15 October 2018
Hein had a business meeting at 1pm in Joburg.  But he had to return home first for his ‘work clothes’.  Carla and I cooked the fish roe (viskuite) in a pot OUTSIDE … she didn’t want that smell in their chalet.  I’ve eaten LOTS AND LOTS of viskuite in Gansbaai (my dad’s family) when we grew up.  After a while, we tasted the viskuite and it was delicious!!!!!!!  Hein was already gone by then – he didn’t stay around for a taste.  Not his thing.

Next up?  Cleaning the potjie from Saturday.  It was a no 4 – so it was really heavy!  But with a bit of elbow grease (thanks to Jan), soap and then the sun … it wasn’t a big deal.  It was a glorious glorious day!!!!!  But Carla and Jan were both looking for jeans – 100% cotton ones.  Apparently in Aussieland you only get the stretchy ones. 

After my shower (I discovered that 1 of the other showers are just perfect!), I sat in the sun to dry my hair.  Just before 9am we trooped in the car and only got a few meters when Carla saw a bloukop lizard on the ground.  With the binoculars, they tried to take a picture … then Carla wanted to walk closer and the lizard were up into a tree.  If Carla was on this side of the tree, lizard was on the other side.

At Kolonnade mall, we started at the 1 end … Jan got a lovely pair of jeans.  Asked for 2 more pairs in the same size … luckily Carla insisted he tried it on … and lo and behold … they didn’t fit.  After 3 hours, we managed to find 3 pairs of jeans for Jan and the same for Carla. 

Gasping for something wet, we plonked down at the Mugg & Bean.  Red cappuccino for me, normal ones for them.  Carla chose the California omelette (it looked amazing) and Jan & I both chose the Smashed Avo and Eggs on toast. 

On our way back to the car, I said we should just pop into the Pep Stores.  Now the other jeans’ prices were all around R400.  Carla tried on this jean and what???  It fitted lovely!!!!!  And was only R100!!!!  But of course … only 1 in stock.

Before we left the resort, we talked about driving to Rietvlei Nature Reserve … but at 1pm we decided it’s too late already.  Cruised back home, saw a Hornbill bird just before the entrance and chilled outside on the chairs.  Carla and Jan packed their bags and sorted things … they were leaving really early the next morning.  As were we, but I was really not in the mood for packing.  I had a quick nap and then Hein arrived and we … made a fire!

With raw cauliflower, baby tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, feta cheese and lettuce we made a salad.  Braaied some chicken pieces and enjoyed a really chilled evening.  Only few people still in chalets, so nice and quiet.

Tuesday 16 October 2018
Carla and Jan left 5h30 … they were doing a road trip down to the Cape.  Hein and I had coffee, the last few rusks and then we packed as well.  Weekend done and dusted.







No comments:

Post a Comment