Thursday, May 7, 2020

2016 - March - Easter

2016 March 30

Did you survive the Easter Bunny and the eggs?  Hope you had a lovely break-away.  Even if you stayed home (like us), it certainly was worth the break.   Woolworths SA had these really yummy apricot and white chocolate Hot Cross Buns.  Something different.
 
Speaking of Woolworths ... interesting ... I got a Woolworths email update yesterday .. talking about the new Taste magazine issue due out in April 2016 ... and it has 10 recipes using sausages.  I think there are hidden cameras in the study ...

You guess ... my issue is all about sausages.  Mostly about boerewors, but don’t let that stop you!!  You can use any sausage at all ... vegetarian, vegan, lamb, ostrich, chicken or pork.  Even Viennas, frankfurters and Chorizo.











These are just a few ideas on how to prepare a meal (without lighting the coals in the Weber) using a packet of sausages.

Enjoy!!  Thanks for all the lovely feed-backs ... I just love to hear your stories.

If you venture onto my website:  www.xcentricideas.co.za and you stay in South Africa, there’s a new button:  ‘Restaurant Reviews’.  My reviews posted on www.zomato.com .  Zomato is a handy tool if you’re looking for a restaurant in your area ... it’s actually all over the world, so try it out.

If you’re on a diet ... I’m really sorry, but I have to share these with you.  I believe in treating oneself once a week.  That’s exactly why I visit the gym 5 – 6 times a week.  So that I can enjoy my sweets.

Magnum Ice Cream.  About a year ago, the Magnum Ice Cream pop-up shop was in Rosebank for about 8 weeks.  I went 3 times.  It was just awesome.  In February, I heard Magnum Ice Cream is opening a shop in Sandton City – sadly its just another pop-up shop, so there’s only about 4 weeks left for you to design your own ice cream!


  Yeah, for R45 I suppose it’s a bit steep ... but sooo worth it.  I’ve already been twice.  They have vanilla Magnum Ice Creams.  You choose a coating:  milk, white or dark chocolate.  

 There are about 20 different toppings .. you choose 3 teaspoons.  


 They then sprinkle the choc covered Magnum with your choice of toppings ...


You then choose a drizzle of white, milk or dark chocolate.  



I chose dark chocolate coating, chili flakes (and I really have to fight them on giving me a full teaspoon!), goji berries & cranberries and Almond biscotti crumbs.  Drizzled with white chocolate.  It was deelicious ... and it was pouring with rain outside.  

As we walked out of the shop and I glanced at the topping options, I saw coarse salt!!!!!

Last week I met my niece in Sandton City, her choice was


I knew exactly what I wanted on my Magnum ....my toppings ...  dark choc coating, chili flakes, coarse salt and caramel chips.  Drizzled with white chocolate.  Oh my word ... it was INSANE!!!  That salt on top of dark chocolate with chilli ... here I am sitting on the chair enjoying my Magnum. 

 

Over Easter, we did some garden work ... clipped the hedges and edges, trimmed the bushes and moved a Blushing Bride Protea bush ... but sadly, I think she failed us.

Lambs shanks in a foil tin with tomatoes, onions and garlic covered with 2 layers of foil was baked in the Weber for 2 hours.  Deelicious!!! 

Saturday we met friends at this lovely family-orientated place – The Big Red Barn.  (http://www.thebigredbarn.co.za/)  It has a cycle park, zipping from branches and a lovely restaurant, The Olifants Cafe. 

Although I was not impressed with their burgers (way too dry and under seasoned)


they had this ‘freak shake’ called Adamo.  


It’s basically a Hazelnut chocolate milkshake, topped with whipped cream, a brownie wedge and drizzled with choc sauce.  R55 – not too bad, definitely a ‘to share’ dessert.  But once you start to such the milkshake, your straw clogs up ... and you discover about 3 more pieces of Brownie INSIDE the milkshake.  Soooo delicious!  And what a clever idea for a party ... even if you just add 1 brownie inside the shake and top it with whipped cream and brownie. 

Yesterday I was watching a baking competition show and kids between 9 and 12 had to make a Piñata cake ... I thought really?  It was so cool and the one girl absolutely nailed it with her M&M sweeties cascading out of the center of the cake.  

But baking a cake is not for me ... so I thought what about Piñata cupcakes?  And yes, here they are...  now you can bake your own cupcakes but I thought ... why not just buy cupcakes / muffins. 

Hollow out the top, fill it with sweeties, put top back, spread with icing and decorate.  Voila.  Here is the video tutorial on making these scrummy cupcakes!!!!  http://cakejournal.com/tutorials/surprise-pinata-cupcakes/

17 March was St Patrick’s Day.  I’m not Irish, but I thought ... let’s celebrate.  Meeting friends at a coffee shop for brunch, I ordered a lime milkshake.  

Then I ordered a slice of rye toast (with aniseeds in ... to die for), creamed spinach, basil pesto, avocado slices and rocket leaves.  

It was absolutely delicious and I had a green brunch.  Topped it off with an Apple, Cucumber and Ginger Juice.
Tonight I’m using the same recipe for my ‘butter chicken boerewors’ (last recipe in this issue), but instead of boerewors I’m using seafood mix and frozen fish pieces.  And this decadent curry sauce mixture will be served on top of fettuccine pasta.

And on that curry note ... the ironing is waiting for me.

Have a fabulous April!  Oh yeah ... forgot to mention ... Hein and I are celebrating our Centennial (100 years) birthdays mid-April.  We’re turning 50 (I’m 1 day older than Hein) and we’re really excited about this milestone!


No comments:

Post a Comment