Friday, May 8, 2020

2016 - October - cheeseburger pie, Cape Town trip


2016 October 26


Cheeseburger pie – have you ever seen these pies at the local petrol stations?  It’s basically a burger patty with tomato relish inside a pastry.  Ever tried making them?  It really is DEAD EASY!  You can bake or fry your burger patties till 2/3 done.  

Roll out your puff pastry (one roll will serve 2, depending on size of your patty) and cut in half.  Put a patty on each half puff pastry, top with tomato relish, ketchup, fried onions and definitely slices or grated cheese.  Carefully fold the pastry over to cover and seal the edges of your ‘pie’ with a fork.  Brush with a beaten egg and bake in oven (per the pastry instructions).  That is it!!!!! 



It was soooooo yummy!!!  You can play with different toppings - different kinds of patties ...

Exercise:  If you don’t go to gym but want to do something, pull on your sneakers and drive to a mall.  (I must say that a few of Joburg malls are excellent for this:  Mall of Africa, Northgate, Cresta, Sandton City).  You then walk briskly from the one side of the mall to the other – and back.  Why?  You’re protected from the weather conditions ... you are among people ... there’s no biting dogs ... you can do window shopping while you walk.

Why health experts want some of you to spend time at the mall ... 
 
Earrings:  I’m really going all out with ‘weird and wacky’ ideas at the moment.  When I’ve compiled a portfolio, I will give the link to the pictures.   Planning to go to Kyalami racetrack last week, I bought a packet of 6 plastic cars at Crazy Store.  4 of the little cars I tied to a cowboy hat with fish line (gut).  The other 2 I drilled holes in and made earrings. 

I wore them today to Northgate mall and got so many compliments.  
People are asking if I sell them, but sadly my creative juices are ‘weird’.  I love making these wild and wacky earrings for myself and my funky friend Cathy.  But if I HAVE TO make these for a market / stall / shop, I lose interest.  Wanting to drill holes in bottle caps for my niece Didi, I practiced on bottle caps and found out ... my drill isn’t working on metal.  

I figured out a way with a nail, hammer and then my drill.  Interesting times.

Impromptu Cape Town trip:

Wednesday 12 October 2016
I was browsing through this quaint little Dutch shop in Kya Sands (De Zoete Inval - http://www.desoeteinval.co.za/ ) when hubby phoned and said he had a business meeting in Cape Town the next day.  Do I want to tag along?  First I thought ... no.  Cause usually I just have to sit around in coffee shops and it ends up being boring.  When he said he’s hiring a car, I said okay. 
Corn Taco Shells 12Pk | Woolworths.co.za
Fish tacos were on the menu for Wednesday night, so we made it for lunch.  Frozen fish nuggets baked in oven.  Taco shells (buy at Woolworths ... they are cheaper than Pick ‘n Pay).  With mayonnaise, chilli sauce and grated cucumber.  Deeeelicious!!!!!!!

Wednesday night after 7pm we drove to Lanseria.  Had a sandwich in the lounge.  Flight was delayed so we sat and wait.  Opposite us was a group ... speaking in a foreign language.  3 Ladies and 2 guys.  Lets call them the ‘foreign group’ for now ... (you’ll understand why later on.)  Eventually we arrived in Cape Town after 10pm, got our rental car and drove to the Lagoon Beach Hotel, Milnerton (http://www.lagoonbeachhotel.co.za/ ).   As we walked up to the reception, there they were ... the ‘foreign group’!  I mean, out of all the hotels in Cape Town that we ended up in the same hotel.  So we joked a bit about who’s following who.

Room was lovely and spacious, didn’t look out over the beach though.  Patio through sliding doors.  Small bar fridge, empty but cold.  I unpacked our bags and we were in bed by midnight.  

Thursday, 13 October 2016
Woke after 6 am.  Walked onto the patio ... wowee ... although the sky was clear, the wind was strong!  I made Hein some instant coffee, but yeah .. I’m a coffee snob ... decided to wait for filter coffee at the breakfast downstairs.  Although we didn’t manage to snag a table right next to the doors overlooking the ocean, we could still see the mountain and sea.  Buffet was big and delightful!  Quite a few different kinds of cereals, yoghurt, whole fruits and then cut-up fruits. 

Different muffins, croissants, different bread slices, jam pastries, waffles (kept in a bain-marie, so they weren’t crispy), marshmallows, sweeties, crushed sweets, whipped cream and few jams.

My absolute favorite (and it was mind-blowing) was a big (about A4 size) piece of real honeycomb! 

I don’t mean the inside-of-a-Crunchie bar-honeycomb!  I mean the honeycomb that’s taken from a beehive!!!  We’ve been to NUMEROUS breakfasts all over South Africa ... and NEVER EVER in my life ... have I seen honeycomb served!!  It was absolutely divine!!!! I toasted some brown bread and enjoyed the honeycomb.  My Zomato review and picture of this honeycomb (https://www.zomato.com/review/Yzemlr)

There were cold hams, salmon (oh yeah!), salad ingredients, grated cheese, feta cheese, cottage cheese and a cheese platter with a few different types of cheeses.  BUT NO KNIFE!  How do you cut a chunk of cheese without a knife?  There were pork and beef sausages, scrambled eggs, pap, tomato relish, bacon, baked beans and tomatoes.  Hot filtered coffee is served at the table.

After breakfast, I took the rental car and drove to Durbanville, about 30 minutes away from Milnerton and left Hein in a business meeting at the hotel lounge.  Later Hein told me that he again saw the ‘foreign group’

I grew up in the Cape and drove around these areas, so it was a breeze although the roads have changed a lot.  Although the wind was still blowing, it was a lovely day and the scenery – priceless.  My reason for driving to Durbanville?  A coffeeshop-  XPresso in Wellington Road (the main road of Durbanville) (http://www.xpressocafe.co.za/ ) – every single item on their menu is R10!  Yes, I’ve not forgotten a digit ... R10!  When I read about it, some people said the cups were small ... so I expected an espresso-sized cup. 


But my Chai Latte came in a normal sized cup.  Was deeelicious!  I also bought 2 Brownie Balls (R10).  They were really rich, chocolatey and decadent!!!  My Zomato review (https://www.zomato.com/review/xgLdlD)

Drove back to Milnerton, but on the way Hein phoned and said I must meet him at the Cape Waterfront. Lunch at a Belgian restaurant, Den Anker (http://www.denanker.co.za/ )  

It was heaven to sat outside on the patio under an umbrella, with a light breeze, watching the boats in the harbour.  I decided to have a starter of fish soup.  (Soupe de Poisson R60.00  Fish soup the French way, with rouille, grated cheese and croutons - Vissoep op zijn Frans)  OH MY GOODNESS!!!  It was absolutely amazing! A lovely bowl of smooth red-orange soup, almost like a creamy bisque soup.  
On the side was croutons, grated cheese and rouille – it looked like red mayonnaise. (Rouille is a sauce that consists of olive oil with breadcrumbs, garlic, saffron and cayenne pepper. It is served as a garnish with fish, fish soup and, notably, bouillabaisse.)  I was totally blown away!    

Hein had a Wagyu burger with chips and mayo sauce ... R105 ... a bit steep I think, although Hein said it was good.  My Zomato review:  (https://www.zomato.com/capetown/den-anker-v-a-waterfront/reviews)

After lunch Hein was working on his laptop at the restaurant table, so I quickly popped over to the Watershed (craft market in a big shed).  Interesting items and the next moment ... there they were ... the foreign group ... again!!!!  So we chatted .. they were students from Tunisia and had a 10 day stay in Pretoria, talking to the University.  They were only a few days in Cape Town.  Okay, so this is really getting weird...

We drove back to the hotel, had a quick nap and then walked down to La Mizu (beach bar at the Lagoon Beach hotel) for a drink.  Wind was still blowing, so we sat inside.  A group of really brave people walked out, chose a table and sat down.  Later on they ordered a pizza to share.  I had to laugh ... the one lady had the slice of pizza in her hand, but she couldn’t get it into her mouth ... she HAD TO TURN HER HEAD so that she could bite the pizza.  Maybe they were CIA and didn’t want anyone to overheard them talking business... bwahahahaha.  Hein always tell me I should write stories, cause the scenarios I can weave around people...

As we walked to the lift, going to our rooms, one of the foreign group ladies was already in the lift!!!!  It was just really ‘crazy’ bumping into them like this! 

Meeting some friends later, we drove to Big Bay and thought we’ll pop into Blue Peter for a drink ... yikes ... it was full!  What a popular place.  The Brazen Head for dinner in Big Bay. (https://www.dining-out.co.za/md-menu/The-Brazen-Head-Restaurant-Big-Bay/7725)  Hein and I shared a platter with Samoosas, ribs, chicken wings, Halloumi and chips.  
 

I ordered champ as a side ... (Champ (brúitín in Irish) is an Irish dish, made by combining mashed potatoes and chopped scallions with butter and milk, and optionally, salt and pepper.  It is simple and inexpensive to produce. In some areas the dish is also called "poundies".)  It was deeeeeeeeeeelicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 A guy was singing some old songs.  Beers were cold and food was good!  When the waiters started to mop the floor, we left for the night.  My Zomato review:  (https://www.zomato.com/capetown/the-brazen-head-blouberg/reviews)

We had a good night’s sleep.

Friday, 14 October 2016
Breakfast and coffee time!!!  It was a splendid day!  NO WIND!  Open skies.

Wow, at the buffet there was a new A4-sized honeycomb!!!!  Yes please, fill me up!  Instead of pap and tomato relish, they had hash browns.  After a few coffees (and still not sitting next to the glass doors), we walked out and what???  Yes, walked into the ‘foreign group’  again!  They were on their way to the cable car at Table Mountain.  It was the perfect Cape Town day for a trip up the mountain.

Our goal for the day ... Babel Restaurant, Simondium.  My Zomato review:  (https://www.zomato.com/review/BExDDG )  


Okay, so are you ready for a really crazy story?  This Babel is on the farm Babylonstoren ... my dad was the farm manager on THIS farm for more than 30 years!  This was our house.


I think my younger sister was 6 (so I was 9) when we moved there.  After my parents left the farm, the owners sold it to Koos Bekker (chairman of NASPERS) and the old farm was changed into this amazing place ...  there’s a spa, a hotel, self-catering units, a fabulous new garden area (it’s a huge area ... laid out brilliantly, with quirky touches), the main restaurant Babel and then a coffee shop called The Greenhouse.  Here are the pictures I took (http://s216.photobucket.com/user/almapretorius/library/Babel%20Klapmuts?sort=2&page=1)

I’ve never seen the ‘new’ farm, so this Friday it was time!  Driving into Babylonstoren is just amazing.  At the entrance, a very friendly colored gentleman asked us to pay the entrance fee.  Hein said:  no young man, we buried something here years ago and just want to come and dig it up.  The guy had a really good laugh.  We still had to pay.

Walking down the farm towards the restaurants, my head swiveled around, telling Hein what I remembered from the ‘old’ farm, although Hein himself knew some of it too.  The gardens are really out of this world!  The farm tries to be self-sustained so veggies are planted and under some trees are beds and beds of rosemary!!!!  The pathways are topped with peach pips and some areas have blue and white mosaic ‘floors’.  The Greenhouse coffee shop is a big glass structure with tables inside and outside.  We chose to sit outside under huge shady trees.   


At the entrance, they ask you to wait ...  while waiting, there was a basket with home-grown Blood Oranges to take home.  As you sit down at your table, a bottle of Babylonstoren-labelled fountain water is given.  Also a glass jar with orange pieces.  (Sticky fingers alert!)   


Our waitress, Gabrieline, was friendly and really interested when I told her I grew up on the farm.  Hein was looking at the sandwich option on the menu, but I vetoed him (in a really nice way of course) and said: no.  It’s tea time.  Scones and dessert in a jar (choice between malva pudding and a gluten-free chocolate pudding.)  Hein chose the malva pudding.  


The treats are carried in a wooden tray, stenciled with Babylonstoren.  It’s called ‘jar dessert planter’.  It’s served in a short fat glass jar, topped with a scoop of ice cream and a sprig of green (something edible, I suppose.) 
For R55 ... with this presentation, sitting under a tree, looking over the garden ... priceless!  The malva pudding was also not that sickly sweet, as we’re used to.

The scones (2 of them) came in glass ‘plant pots’.  They must have been baked in them.  On the side were glass jars with butter, whipped cream, blueberry jam (it was a bit runny, so I ended up with more sticky fingers.) and grated cheese.  Also R55 ... presentation and taste ... out of this world.


Your bill comes in a ‘Babylonstoren olive oil tin’.  

I cannot tell you how impressed both Hein and myself were ... I thought the new farm would be real snobbish and terribly expensive (well, the overnight rooms are bit pricey) -  but the experience we had was just incredible!  The staff all seemed happy with the working conditions and the amazing details you encounter – a real winner.

Not wanting to drive to Stellenbosch (where Hein and I met 25 years ago) because of the student unrest, we drove to Wellington, thinking to visit the Three Ships Whisky distillery.  But they only open on appointment.  Off to Durbanville (no no ... not the R10 XPresso shop (Hein gently vetoed that – heehee) ... we stayed outside of Durbanville 17 years ago.) 

At Table view, we found a little pub/restaurant Pakalolo.  (http://www.pakalolo.co.za/) 

It’s a street away from the beach and we snagged a table right at the entrance.  Cold beer for Hein, coffee milkshake for me and a plate of chips.  The roof has these grass fringed edges so you can almost imagine yourself on an island.  

On our way to the hotel, we stopped at Pick ‘n Pay and besides beer and flavored milk (for me), we bought some fresh buns, butter spread, crushed garlic and small block of cheese for dinner in the hotel room. (Forgetting we obviously don’t have utensils.)  I can now inform you ... a teaspoon is a real handy tool!   With the side of the teaspoon handle, I ‘cut’ the buns.  With the underside of the teaspoon ‘bowl’, I smeared the butter and garlic.  With the side of the teaspoon handle I also managed to slice the cheese.  Hein watched a movie, I read a book and we munched on garlic cheese buns ... yummo!

Saturday, 15 October 2016
Coffee time!  And breakfast!  Checking on the honeycomb ... this time they had 2 smaller squares ... so yes, I again had some lovely toast with honey.  This morning there was also spaghetti with veggies at the buffet ... noodles for breakfast!  And we managed to snag a table at the glass doors!!!!!  Seagulls were in the swimming pool – bathing and splashing around.  Another stunning day for Cape Town, although there a few clouds hanging over the mountain.

After breakfast, we walked to the lift to grab our suitcases ... AND WALKED INTO THE ‘FOREIGN GROUP’ ... AGAIN!!!!!  They were also flying to Joburg the same day, but only at 3pm ... our flight was at 11am.  They still had some shopping to do.   And that was our impromptu Cape Town trip.

Keep well and thanks for the lovely responses on my chattier emails.

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment