Tuesday, May 12, 2020

2017 - October - Denmark trip

Hein and I are flying to Denmark this evening after 11 pm.

7h15:  Aqua class at Virgin Active.  Our friend Mikaela’s 50th birthday … she asked Julia (our instructress) if she could bring bubbly and sweets.  Balloons and paper garlands were hung and bubbly, choc balls and cookies were placed around the aqua pool.  We had a great class, sung ‘happy birthday’ and then I showered and dressed.

Our girls, Sammy & Minx haven’t been to a ‘cat hotel’ in years, so I first drove past the vet for their injections.  Driving to Katmandu Cattery is nerve-racking, cause the kids meow and the last bit of road in Lammermoor is yucky.  But they were safely booked in.

Bought a few last-minute things at the shops and packed our bags.  1 x ‘suitcase on wheels’ for on-board luggage, 1 x duffel bag for ‘check in luggage’. 

Hein worked in Midrand and got stuck in serious highway traffic … it took Hein 2 hours from Midrand to Allandale offramp.  Arrived home at 7pm, ate a sandwich, packed a few things and we phoned Uber for a ride to OR Tambo.

Although we arrived at the airport around 8pm, we ‘shrink-wrapped’ our ‘check in luggage’ and went to the business lounge.  What a pleasure!  Tables and chair to eat at … extremely comfortable chairs and ottomans for your feet.  The food is amazing … different desserts, (hahaha notice I mention it first), a fabulous tomato soup with amazing choux puffs filled with creamy cheese, breads, cold meats, fruit, drinks, etc.  It was nice to just relax and realized that we’re nearly on our way.  I wore my small bright-yellow Dutch clogs’ earrings. 
Leggings, boots, denim shorts and a ‘cold shoulder’ long sleeve cotton top … perfect choice for the long flight.  I was comfortable and not too hot or cold.

Boarding the KLM plane just before 11pm – now this was only my 2nd trip overseas (the last trip was to England in 1999!) – so I was super excited but really apprehensive over the late flight.  Seated and suddenly they announced:  ‘Alma Pretorius … is Alma Pretorius on board’ …. Wait, what???  Did I drop my passport or something?  Their machine wasn’t sure if I was on board.  Wow, that was a bit weird.

After take-off, we settled in our seats. (Hein at window, me in the center) I had my blow-up pillow, earplugs and sleeping mask …  and then KLM served dinner.  At midnight!!!!  A cute little cardboard box with Dutch decorations, a chicken wrap, cubed cheese and Provitas, small salad and a caramel-cream dessert.    Both of us managed some sleep … on and off.

Tuesday 24 October 2017
By 6 am (only halfway to Schiphol airport Amsterdam), we were gasping for some coffee.  I suppose we could have asked for some, but were too shy (?).  At 8am they served breakfast (pork sausage, scrambled eggs, tomato and potato cubes in tomato relish.  AND COFFEE!

Around 11am we landed at Schiphol airport.  Wow, what a fabulous airport!  Since our lay-over was only for an hour, we walked around a bit, looking at all the Dutch food, souvenirs and décor.  At the business lounge, I changed clothes, freshened up a bit and changed my earrings to Denmark earrings.  Not a lot of food choices in the lounge, but I did loooove the little spiced cookies at the coffee station

and mini RAISIN BUNS (krentenbollen in Dutch).  My goodness, they were so soft and filled with raisins!!

Boarding KLM again, Hein managed to snag a seat at the emergency exit with leg space.  Flight to Billund airport, Denmark only about 2 hours.  A little cardboard box with cheese sandwich, Dutch sugar cookie and water was handed out.

Billund Airport – exchanged our Euros for Krone and waited for the bus to Kolding, our destination.  With a woman bus driver, the trip was just over 1 hour, but the route was so scenic!  Autumn leaves and trees all over, green grass and small villages.  By now, we seriously needed matches to keep our eyes open … but we were in Denmark!!!

First Hotel Kolding (https://www.firsthotels.dk/hoteller/danmark/kolding/first-hotel-kolding/) – what a fabulously situated hotel …. Right on the square opposite the train station.  Booked into our room (222) and although real basic, the room had a separate bathroom (shower, toilet, sink, iron and ironing board), 2 single beds together (king-size bed) but hahaha … only 2 single duvets (or they call it quilts) – NOT 1 KING SIZE … anyway.   

A desk to work at, a comfy chair, doors that open to the inside hotel courtyard facing the other rooms and ample hanging space for clothes … not so many packing space.  But I managed.  When you enter the room with your hotel card, you then insert it next to the door inside the room and that somehow ‘operates’ the lights.  Pull the card out – no lights.  AND THE BEST THING … a coffee machine!  Using coffee pods – and not medium coffee strength … DARK!  Woohoo!!!!

Unpacked everything and had a nice nap.  At 7pm we met Hein’s client at Mokka Café (https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g227599-d1082556-Reviews-The_Mokka_Cafe-Kolding_South_Jutland_Jutland.html)  – weather was coldish (no rain) and what a pleasure to walk to the restaurant (about 10 minutes away).  



Mokka Café was buzzing and only had 2 waitresses … so although you wait a little bit for drinks and food, it’s still acceptable.  The inside of the restaurant (actually ALL THE SHOPS IN DENMARK) are quite hot inside …. Compared to the colder outside.  I had to remove my jacket.  With a name like Mokka Café, I started with a Mokka drink.  Yummy.  Hein and his client had beef burgers, served with salad and fried potato cubes.  I had a chicken burger and my gosh, it was a big portion and really yummy!  After a few beers, we walked back to the hotel and slept like logs.

Wednesday 25 October 2017
6h30 am – we were awake and it was still pitch dark outside.  Had some of this yummy machine coffee and opened the doors for fresh air.  8h30 we showered, dressed and entered the hotel dining room for breakfast.  Goodness, what a spread!!!  A few different breads to slice, small buns, various fresh Danish pastries, gluten free crisp bread (wasn’t so nice), really good cinnamon crisp, thin, round ‘cookies’.  There were a few cheese choices, cold ham choices and PATE!   Gosh the pate was yummy!  Cereals, different yoghurt choices, fresh fruits, dried fruits and nuts, filter coffee in pots and tea/Chai tea on a counter.





Hot choices were sausages, really firm scrambled eggs, baked beans and really crispy bacon.  There’s also a hot covered tray with soft-boiled eggs in the shell … quite interesting.  A bubbly lady – Bilma – chatted to us.  I sampled a few of the interesting items, Hein had most of the hot choices and delicious fresh bread!  And more coffee of course.

Since this was a business trip, Hein worked in the hotel room.  Now Wi-Fi is free in the hotel (and most restaurants/coffee shops – you just ask for a code).  But since my phone’s roaming wasn’t active, it meant that if I leave the hotel … Hein couldn’t reach me. 

So I took to the streets.  First I walked to the 7-11 shop (inside the train station) and just browsed at all the goodies, checking the prices.  Further up the street was a Netto grocery store … what a pleasure to walk around and check the interesting goodies and prices.  The exchange is 1 krone to 2.3 rands.  It started to rain but luckily, I had an emergency plastic raincoat so I quickly walked back to the hotel.  Sat in the hotel foyer, chatted to Bilma (she told me about a few nice dinner places) and read on my IPad while checking the weather outside.

Glancing outside around 11h30, I saw the sun!  Quickly packed away my IPad  and walked up and down the close-by streets of Kolding.  Quite a few interesting clothes shops – outside a shop they had ‘bargain rails’ and I saw a jean labelled ‘Alma – Super Slim’.  I didn’t buy it.



Hein had a Skype business call in the hotel room till about 13h30 … so I popped in to tell him I’m down at the hotel foyer.  Asking the receptionist for a nearby lunch place, he recommended ‘Brød’ (http://cafebrod.dk/?lang=en) – a sandwich coffee shop.  Oh my goodness, what a charming little place.  Warm décor, fake fur (well, I think they were fake) on bench seats and quite a selection of sandwiches to choose from.  Hein chose a Danish chicken salad open sandwich … it was really yum.  I chose a pickled Mackerel open sandwich … delicious!!

After that delicious sandwich lunch, we relaxed in the hotel room.  Late the afternoon we sat in the hotel dining room next to the big windows … it’s just sooo interesting watching the people walk by (or cycle – it’s quite popular) and most of the private taxi’s are station wagons.  I popped over to the Train Station 7-11 and bought a Ben & Jerry Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwich!!  Yeah!!!  When I read a chick-book, the girls who are dumped ALWAYS eat Ben & Jerry ice cream.  I wasn’t dumped, but now at least I can relate to the ice cream …. It was quite delicious!  On my Samsung Health app I walked over 6 km’s during the day.

Bilma, the friendly lady in the dining room, recommended an Italian restaurant for dinner.  A buffet.  Luckily the hotel receptionist booked a table for us at 7pm – we were meeting a friend for dinner.  Strolling the streets to Nicolai Café (https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g227599-d1140394-Reviews-Nicolai_Cafe-Kolding_South_Jutland_Jutland.html), it was coldish but bearable.  Arriving at the Nicolai Café, we realized the local movies open into the café. 



Once again, only 1 waiter and 1 waitress … place was busy!  A few tables had groups of between 5 and 10 people.  Yet service was quite good.

The Italian buffet was impressive – at 118 krone per person it had:  2 different pizza’s (thin crust and crispy), 3 different pastas, crostini’s with topping, salads, fresh bread, shrimp cocktails, salmon, olives, artichokes, cold meats, cheeses, etc.  What a feast!!!

When we walked into the café and saw the movie posters, we noticed the 1 poster - ‘Arlette’ – standing in queue to pay after our delicious meal, the movie doors opened and people streamed out!  There were quite a few flower bouquets and the waiter explained that this movie ‘Arlette’ is an autobiography of a French Jewish lady who was detained at the end of the Second World War to Auschwitz concentration camp.  She had her camp number tattooed on her forearm.  For 40 years Arlette never talked about her ordeal … but then started to give talks, a book was released and 2 movies, the latest being ‘Arlette’. 

Arlette Andersen is 93 … and while we’re waiting for the stream of people to pass in the café, this short white-haired lady stood right next to me.  (Pity I didn’t realize then exactly who she was … only Googled it afterwards).  Right next to me!!!!!  Wow, what a privilege.

Thursday 26 October 2017
So much for sleeping late … 6h30 – pitch dark outside and nice cool weather.  Wanting to brush our teeth, lights are not working.  But the plugs worked … phoned reception and informed them … got a brainwave, switched the hotel cards (that we had to plug in the wall for the lights) and it worked.  Yay!

Drinking coffee (good coffee) in bed, chatting, relaxing and went to breakfast at about 8.  Had a lovely breakfast, but when I walked quickly out of the hotel, I realized my clothes were not ‘weather-fit’.  I changed my clothes for the cool weather and off I went.   

First I walked all around the Lake Slottsøen … all the Autumn trees are just lovely, bushes with bright red berries and ducks and swans gliding over the water.  At one stage I had to detour through houses to reach the other side of the lake.   There’s also a Koldinghus castle right next to the lake and lovely modern apartments where Hein’s team stays when in Kolding.

From the lake I walked again through some streets lined with shops and restaurants but ventured further over a canal.  Walked into Café Klein (https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g227599-d3435481-Reviews-Cafe_Klein-Kolding_South_Jutland_Jutland.html) for coffee and cake (and free Wi-Fi).  A very intriguing cake caught my attention:  a Lagkage (birthday layer cake).  



It’s a layered cake with different variations according to your taste … this version had sponge cake, tiramisu cream, raspberry jam and macaroons on top.  It was delish!!!!!  With a strong black coffee.  I sms’d Hein for an update and decided I’ll meet him back at the hotel for lunch.

When we planned our dinner at Nicolai Café, I downloaded a map on my phone … with a few other places marked on it.  So now I pulled out my phone, saw the location of Café Klein and could navigate my way easily back to the hotel.  If I was lost, I would have just ask anybody the way to the train station.

Deciding on lunch we walked around and into Naz BBQ Restaurant (https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g227599-d11719745-Reviews-Naz_Barbecue_Restourant-Kolding_South_Jutland_Jutland.html) .  It was empty but we decided to try the food.  Turkish bbq food … yummy. 


I ordered a Turkish tea, Hein a beer and then we ordered a platter to share.  Flatbread with 3 dips were served first and wow, those dips!  Our platter had 1 beef kebab, 1 chicken kebab and 1 lamb kebab (so yummy).  Also some rotary meat (schwarma), more flatbread, chips, rice, veggies and a meatball.  Everything was really really good.  You can see the BBQ area (they use charcoal) and the way they prepare the meat.     On paying, the guy told us that on Friday and Saturday nights, they have a buffet for 168 krone. 

Walking back, we passed this toy shop.  Last year Hein bought me a box of Lego’s from this shop – from a 60+ lady and she was really helpful in choosing the Lego’s.  Hein told her it will be for earrings … she told him he must post a picture on their shop’s Facebook page.  Which Hein did after I created my earrings, ring and brooch from Lego’s.

So I wasn’t wearing my Lego accessories but had it in my handbag.  Walked into the shop, started to talk to the young girl behind the counter, but the next moment this same 60+ lady walked from the back to the shop and said to Hein:  I remember you!  You bought Lego’s for your wife as earrings and you posted a picture on Facebook.    My goodness, she remembered Hein after a year!  Hein introduced me and I showed her my accessories. 


For the rest of the afternoon, we read and rest in the hotel room.  Walking after 6pm through the streets a light drizzle was falling.  A Hungary restaurant caught our eye and we walked into Budapest restaurant (https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g227599-d4322117-Reviews-Budapest_Restaurant_Steakhouse-Kolding_South_Jutland_Jutland.html) .  Quite a few people already and the décor once again so cosy.  Only 1 person behind the bar and serving the tables.  Amazing.



Looking at the menu, we decided on a garlic-cheese-basil pesto flatbread as starter.  Goulash soup as main for me and steak with crispy bacon, lots of cubed potatoes and a fabulous boozy creamy mushroom sauce for Hein.  Everything was just delicious.  Hein had some house wine with it.  

Walking out later, it was still drizzling, but we thought we’ll visit the Irish Pub for a drink.  I decided on a cappuccino, but the barman was a bit clueless.  He fiddled with the coffee machine and brought me a black coffee .. a very very very strong black coffee!  Whew … I managed about half of it.  Hopefully I won’t be awake all night.  Pub was quiet, but everyone is always just so friendly.  Back at the hotel room, I checked my Samsung Health App and a personal best:  I walked 8.14 km!!!!  Woohoo. 

Friday 27 October 2017
Our last full day in Kolding!  So sad!  A train trip somewhere is in order.  Hein had a Skype call just after lunch, so we decided against going to Copenhagen (about 2 ½ hours’ train drive) and went to Aarhus (the 2nd biggest town in Denmark) for a 1 ½ hour train trip.  On the train they have free Wi-Fi (if you have a monthly train card) and between the seats power lugs for your cellphone. 



Looking out the window was just amazing … passing farms, green lands, muddy (very muddy) fields, another lake on the other side with sailboats and quite a few stations (I think 8).  The train stations are announced as well as on a screen.  Arriving at Aarhus station … it’s a mall!  There are all kinds of shops, a McDonalds, restaurants, fashion shops, toy shops …

At Emery’s we stopped for coffee … it’s a little bakery with the most delectable goodies on display!  The Danish version of sweetie pies are ‘Flødeboller’ (chocolate covered marshmallow fluff balls) – and cappu. 

The homemade ‘sweetie pie’ version is delicious!  Walked around a bit, saw an accessory shop (similar to our Lovinas) and just as expensive!

Out of the station and you feel like you’re in the center of town.  Just walk down the street and shops are lined on both sides.  A few small ‘food trucks’ in the center and we both decided:  it’s hot dog time!  When Hein visited Denmark last year, he couldn’t stop talking about their hot dogs.   The different kinds of ‘vienna’ is heated, the bun sliced on the side and then wrapped in a paper bag.  From the top - different kinds of sauce bottles hang and is squirted into the top of the bread roll … and then the Vienna is pushed into the center.


Hein opted for a normal one with little bit of mustard and tomato sauce.  I had mustard, tomato sauce, some creamy sauce, extra onions and some gherkins – mine was fantastic!!!!!  I popped into a few stores, looking for some ‘earring possibilities’ but didn’t find any.  A chocolate shop caught my eye and I had a look at their display … and saw something interesting:

Lakrids chocolate … a flat piece of licorice covered in dark chocolate.  (Apparently Denmark has a particular love for licorice.)  The company Lakrids has the only handmade licorice in the world!  And I had a piece in my hand … yes, I did buy it!  Tasted it and really quite enjoyed it.

Actually it had my head spinning thinking maybe at home I can buy black licorice and coat it in chocolate …

It was time to head back to the Aarhus train station.  Denmark has such amazing buildings … mostly old-fashioned.  ½ hour from Kolding train station, people boarded the train and there seemed to be a problem … we watched in confusion … it seemed the new people actually booked certain seats on the train!  But people have taken their seats.  And lo and behold … we were also guilty.  I was just livid!  Why the heck could the ticket office not warned us?  We walked to the back of the train, but there were no seats!  Ughh.  So for 30 minutes I sat on a hard step … not impressed at all.

At the hotel Hein went to the hotel room for his conference call … and once again I walked around the streets – this time really looking for some key-ring for myself. After an hour or so, I walked into another coffee shop ‘Two Maidens’ (https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g227599-d6898463-Reviews-Two_Maidens-Kolding_South_Jutland_Jutland.html) .  Browsed the display shelves and saw a yummy Raspberry tart. 
I removed my jacket (the shops are really so hot inside), sat down next to the window overlooking the cobblestone street and enjoyed every single bite of this tart-but-sweet-and-buttery-pastry pie slice.  With delicious black coffee.  Asked for Wi-Fi password, sms’d Hein and then walked a few more streets before I returned to the hotel.

Wanting to have something special for our last Denmark night, we decided on Munken … a fine dining restaurant.  Now as usual, I did look at the menu … but somehow focused on Hein and his love for steak.  Seated in a booth, we looked at the menu and realized … there’s really nothing ‘yummy’ for me.  Everything sounded ‘ordinary’.  Walked out and decided to go to Naz BBQ for their buffet.

The restaurant was busy … people were chatting and laughing … wine glasses clinked and the smell of BBQ was intoxicating!   Sitting down, we ordered drinks and started filling our plates … my goodness, the variety of Turkish foods displayed were mouthwatering!   



 
Baby marinated eggplants were sliced on the side and filled with minced herb meat, hummus, a delicious tomato-ish relish, sour cream, spinach salad, Greek salad, Dolmades (rice leaves filled with rice), marinated (and very pink) beetroot, gherkins, flatbread triangles with mince, chips, beef kebabs, chicken kebabs, lamb kebabs (all covered under a flat bread to keep warm), baked eggplants filled with mince and baked in a tomato sauce, bell peppers cooked in sauce and chicken drumsticks on yellow rice with cashews.

I had tiny bites of nearly every dish, but my favourites were the hummus, the flatbreads, the tomato relish, the Dolmades, the marinated and baked eggplants and the lamb kebab.


There were 2 young lady waitresses and I asked our waitress if I can have Turkish coffee (which wasn’t on the menu).  She asked one of the managers/owners and he said he’ll prepare it for me.  I also asked for Baklava (of course).  The Baklava ‘cigars’ were served with ice cream and had quite a bit of pistachio crumbs in it … so it wasn’t that overly honey-sweetness.  The Turkish coffee came in a small cute ornate coffee cup with a lid.  But when I lifted the lid, the cup was empty.  The waitress then realized my cup was empty and laughed herself silly … she was too quick -  the coffee was still steeping on the coals.   I just adore Turkish coffee!!!  It was so perfect with the Baklava.

I would seriously recommend this restaurant to anyone!  It’s an experience!  Even if you don’t LOVE meat, there’s such a lot of other dishes to enjoy.  Walking back to the hotel, we stopped in at the Old English Pub for a nightcap.  I asked for a Raspberry juice and although sweet, it was nice.

At the hotel we packed almost everything … we had a really really early start the next morning!  Checking my Samsung Health app, I walked more than 7 km’s that day.  Night night.

Saturday 28 October 2017
Our alarm went off at 2 am.  Showered, dressed and packed the last few things.  2h30 am we stepped into the lift … a guy with a bow tie greeted us.  I asked him what was the occasion?  Their company had a ‘nerd’ party and they’re off now to party …  he hasn’t been to bed at all.  And we’ve slept and were on our way to the airport.

Waiting in the hotel foyer for our taxi, more guys dressed as ‘nerds’ were drinking beers and then they all left for a club.  Our taxi trip was about 1 hour.  At Billund airport, with 2 luggage bags, we decided to book both in … and only kept Hein’s computer bag on the plane.  What a pleasure … at machines, you book your boarding pass, choose your seats, place the tags on your luggage and then wait for the personnel to open the gates.

Now we urgently needed a coffee shop. 
There are quite a few ‘duty-free’ shops … perfumes, loads and loads of chocolates and sweets, clothes, mementos … but I didn’t buy anything.  When the gates opened, you again load your luggage via machines … you lift your bag on a scale, it weighs it, asks you for your boarding pass (and it has to corresponding to your name) and then it approves it and off it goes to the plane.  What a fabulous pleasure.


6am and our KLM plane took off for Schiphol airport, Amsterdam.  As we landed at Schiphol airport I told Hein – I’m buying myself clog slippers.  The first shop we saw had these slippers … they look exactly like clogs, but are brightly colored and patterned and soft-soft!  The lady was kind enough for me to try them on for size and I bought them.  At another shop I bought a small wooden orange tulip flower keyring.  There’s 1 restaurant with huge teacups and saucers … as seating!  It’s sooo cute!  There are also huge wooden tulips on some tables and even a knife and fork.

Hein was watching a giant clock on the wall … it was see-through and a guy in overalls was at the back cleaning it.  Or so we thought.  While I quickly browsed the shops, Hein had been standing there watching this clock … and realized it must be a video. 
But it’s so real!  This ‘guy’ is painting the short arm of the clock … then he cleans the rest of the clock … and then he scrapes off the short arm and repainted it to form the next ‘minute’ of the clock.  It’s utterly brilliant!!!!  Here's the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u1wCzby14o

Sitting at a high table, Hein had a beer and I had another Ben & Jerry ice cream sandwich … brownie this time, but it was okay … the cookie dough flavor was better.  We kept on checking the displays for our flights and it’s just amazing how many planes depart from this airport!

At Schiphol airport, Hein managed to book an aisle seat for himself (for leg stretch).  A really nice Dutch lady sat at the window and we discovered she’s Afrikaans, actually from Joburg, married a Dutch guy, stays in Amsterdam and is visiting her family in Johannesburg. 

Breakfast was served on the plane … with coffee.  Chatting with Phileke was lovely … somehow the 10 hours weren’t that long.  My blowup pillow, earplugs and sleep mask proved once again a good thing.  I actually managed to sleep for a bit at stretches.  Lunch was ‘kiep’ (chicken’) or pasta … Hein and I both chose the pasta with tomato-chili sauce and it was fantastic!  A small salad, a bun was served too.  Dessert was 2 small choux buns on choc mousse with cream.  Delicious!!!!! 

In-between snoozing, we watched movies (in the headrest in front of you), read or chatted.  I told Phileke about the choc-covered licorice and my plan to buy flavored chocolate to cover ordinary black licorice.  By early evening, I was tired of sitting, so we made turns to stand and walk around a bit.   Dinner was something tasty, but I cannot remember what now.
Eventually after 9pm we landed at OR Tambo.  Waited quite a bit for our 2 bags (hopefully they were here and not opened) and listened to a lady who had R170 000 worth of jewelry stolen out of her luggage.  An Avis driver was holding a board ‘Mr H’ (heehee) but then I saw Phileke and she waved me over … introduced me to her sister and mom and then gave me a bag of black licorice wheels! Bought in Amsterdam! How sweet was that!

At long last we arrived home around 11pm.  What a fabulous trip! 






No comments:

Post a Comment