Tuesday, May 12, 2020

2018 - December - xmas day


24 December 2018 – like usual, Hein and I adamantly refuse to visit any place for Xmas day.  So we decided to spend Xmas day with my family and the 24th with Hein’s family.  

After first going to the gym for an aqua class, Hein bought some pork belly for a pot at his bro’s place in Centurion.  It was a hot day, but luckily big Oak trees kept us in the shade.  Hein added the pork belly to potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes and spices in a pot for 3 hours.     2 whole chickens were roasted in the Weber braai and we had a lovely salad.  There was also lovely Coconut Chocolate ice cream and another 3-flavor ice cream.

After we’ve eaten, we drove home.  At home we started our braai and grilled quite a few chicken pieces for the next day.

25 December 2018:  Got to my parents (close to Wonderboom Airport) just after 10am – it was soooo hot!  Luckily we could sit outside under a roof and look at the fig trees and birds.  With rumbling tummies, we moved inside.  My mom prepared a cold ham and her famous potato salad; we had the cold chicken pieces – there were a few other salads, fresh bread rolls and for dessert cake and ice cream.  The fan kept us from melting and it was just a really relaxed lunch.

When we woke up 1 morning, we decided to drive to Rietvlei Nature Reserve, Centurion.  I prepared coffee in a flask and sandwiches – luckily it was an overcast day.  Not even 2 km into the nature reserve, we saw 6 rhinoceros walking in the field.  As usual, plenty of buck, ostriches and zebras were seen.
 
Another day we decided on brunch in Cullinan.  Yikes – the detour to Cullinan took forever!!!!  Our choice was ‘Oppistasie’ (https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g1060377-d8855977-Reviews-Oppistasie_Restaurant-Cullinan_Gauteng.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=369279073).

It's a lovely restaurant right on the neglected train tracks.  Food is reasonably priced and good – it’s served in the front part of a shovel … which is cute, but unpractical to eat from.  Also, I had a toasted sandwich and chips – but since the toasted sandwich was on the shovel, it ‘sweated’ and was soft.  I was super excited to see All Gold tomato sauce, but UH UH – they cheated – when I poured it on my plate, I could immediately see it’s thinner … and tasting it?  Not All Gold.  Hrmmmphhhh.  Hein had the mixed grill and it was lovely.


On 30th December 2018 our neighbours across invited us for cake and tea – their youngest son turned 21.  I asked her what’s on his wish list and since he was leaving for Cape Town that week, money was a good choice.

Now I hate giving money … especially in an envelope.  It’s just so BLAH!  Now after our successful candy birthday poster (that I told you about), I looked around on Pinterest for more ideas and found this really good ‘pizza box’ idea. 

I asked our local pizza joint for an empty medium pizza box.  On the inside of lid I wrote with a khoki – “You cannot have pizza without a litte bit of $$dough$$.”


The idea was then to put money bills in the box to resemble a whole pizza … but I didn’t have small bank notes, so I decided to only have 1 slice of ‘pizza’.  I stuck the notes with cellotape, added ‘pepperoni’ coins and stuck them with Prestik.  And for a final touch, I added some raffia ‘sawdust’ on top. 

Our birthday boy was first really excited thinking after the previous night’s party he was getting a pizza from his fav place … but we’re sure he used the ‘dough’ for a few drinks in Cape Town.

 
And here we are … January almost done … who knows what 2019 will have in store for us?



No comments:

Post a Comment