Tuesday, May 12, 2020

2018 - June - Cape Town trip


Thursday 21 June 2018
Remember with our April/May roadtrip – we planned it around fetching a computer server in Cape Town?  And ended up not taking it?

Well this time we really had to pick up the computer server.  Since we love driving with the new car, we thought we’ll drive down to Cape.  

When we were just married, in 1993, we stayed in Randfontein, Gauteng.  And we used to drive down on a regular basis – all in one go!  I remember one time … we decided at 5 pm, yes afternoon, not morning, to drive down to Cape.  Gosh, when we drove through Worcester around 5 am, the sun was straight in our faces!

Being more mature now (only just), Hein surprised me by booking us into a boutique hotel in Bloemfontein.  Anta Boga – (http://antaboga.co.za/)  Anta Boga which means – Abundance of food, It is a place inspired by the myth and wonder of one of the world’s most vibrant cultures, the Balinese. Our Sama Sama Restaurant which means “You are welcome”, caters for Buffet style eating.

Thursday morning I dropped our cat girl, Sammy, at her hotel for the weekend.  Hein was supposed to have a meeting until 4pm, so I started to pack slowly … meeting was done telephonically and we left Joburg at 2pm.  Woohoo!  Hein was quite impressed that I packed my own duffel bag … and managed to fit everything in .. even 6 brooch flowers and of course 6 pairs of earrings, each pair packed separately in a ‘mini Ziplock bag’.

The weather was just amazing!  And driving to Bloemfontein – I nearly had whiplash from swinging my head side to side – looking at the fields, the mountains, trees …. Absolutely gorgeous!

At Kroonvaal 1-stop we stretched our legs and I had some coffee.  Listening to music and watching the scenery, we had a lovely drive – 285 km to Bloemfontein …. And too late I realized I should have had a pitstop at Kroonstad … cause the next stop was Bloemfontein … and yeah …

Nearing Bloemfontein, I was doing ‘lamaze’ exercises … breathe in slowly, exhale even slower … at the very 1st fuel station, we stopped …

Driving to our destination, Anta Boga, I got a bit nervous … the streets were a bit shabby … and mostly industrial sites … as we rounded the corner quite a few cars were on the pavement … I’m like ‘oh no, we cannot leave our car outside!’ …. But it was a restaurant.  Whew.

Parking at Anta Boga, it looked real nice.  Walked into reception and the décor is warm and cosy and upmarket.  With our room keys, we walked through a door … yikes … people with leg/knee/hip problems, would have a hard time.  The stairs are outside … towards the 2nd floor … but each step has a downward slant … a bit weird.  And a notice that said:  ‘slippery when wet’ – hmmm.  Sooo glad it wasn’t raining!  Imagine you walking from your room in the rain – down these slanting steps … not good.

The room was lovely – big bed with a tiny balcony and even tinier table and chairs … bathroom with a bath – glass doors on the bath with shower inside.  We loved it, but again … the bath is quite high, and people will find it difficult to manage.  We realized Hein’s spectacles were left at home.  Sigh.  There’s always something left behind.

I couldn’t resist a quick soak in the bath … then we walked downstairs to the restaurant.  A choice of buffet dinner (R190/person) or a la carte.  It was still early (just after 6pm), so we walked to the small lounge area and had a coffee and beer.  Huuuge painted canvasses on the wall with flowers and fruit – really comfy chairs and couch, decorated in lovely patterned fabric.  A glass dome on a table had some rusks … I tried one but it wasn’t crunchy after dipping in my coffee, so I left it.

Opting for the a la carte option, I chose potato wedges and chicken wings.  Hein chose the chicken schnitzel with cheese sauce, mash & vegetables.  We chose a table next to a Jetmaster, Hein adding some wood to the flames.

The potato wedges were amazing!  Chicken wings a bit tough – as well as the chicken schnitzel.  But the mash and vegetables were good.

Back in the room we relaxed and had an early night.

Friday 22 June 2018
Woke up at 6 am.  Hein made himself some instant coffee, but I decided to wait for filter coffee at breakfast.  Showered, dressed and walked down to breakfast.  Buffet style – the usual suspects … eggs, bacon, hash browns (not crispy), fish balls (really crispy and nice), toast, sausages, muffins, cereals, yoghurts, jam … but then also small bowls with cut biltong, short pieces of droëwors, mini quiches, bowls with nuts and seeds, a few dips and different slices of bread.    And yummy strong black coffee!   

8 am and we’re on the road.  Now for the long stretch down to the Cape.  Bit nippy as we left Bloemfontein, but gorgeous open skies.

Around 10 am, we drove into Colesberg.  Hein needed to do some internet banking, so we stopped at Nineteen Eighty Nine coffee shop (https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g2242645-d13134586-Reviews-Nineteen_Eighty_Nine-Colesberg_Northern_Cape.html).

It was windy outside, so we chose a table inside, next to a wall of books ‘for sale’.  We ordered cappu and coffee – a scone with jam, cream & cheese.  Waiting for the coffee, I bought some rusks - I browsed the titles of the books … only to found out it’s not sorted alphabetically!  Now how on earth am I supposed to find a specific author … I promise you – if we had more time, I would have taken down all those books and sorted them alphabetically!  I mean really!  (heehee)

Our coffee and cappu each had a thin crispy gingerbread man on the saucer.  The scone was ice cold and very dry.  Sigh.  I just don’t understand these coffee shops – that they’re happy to serve cold scone .. really???  A few seconds in the microwave would have warmed it nicely.

Getting ready to pay, the waiter and another waitress were just gone.  Nowhere to be seen.  Waited for a few minutes, I could hear them in the kitchen, so I walked to the kitchen door and knocked very loudly.  Our waiter rushed out – I told him nicely that they cannot be all behind closed doors … and that the scone was really not good.  So we only paid for the coffees.

Next stop Travalia Farmstall, part of 3 Sisters, outside Beaufort West … Hein hoped for a nice pie.  After 12 we stopped at Travalia (http://www.travalia.co.za/farmstore.html) – stretched our legs and walked inside.  It smelled delicious and it’s a huuuge barn converted into a coffee shop and farmstall.  There are hundreds of cute little things to buy – sweets, homemade jams, kudu biltong, interesting needlework, jars of pickles, kids’ toys, etc.  Also freezers filled with pies, meat, ‘roosterkoeke’ (griddle buns), etc.


Hein ordered the lamb pie and it was really tasty … except that the pastry top could have been more puffed.  I ordered the ‘roosterkoek’ with cheese & tomato … oh dear.  It looked like a real ‘roosterkoek’ with griddle marks on the outside, but it wasn’t crisp.  Grrrrrrr.  It’s as if you order a piece of toast – and you get a piece of soft, chewy bread.  Not nice!

Grabbing a basket, I bought quite a few interesting items – some soft-dried pears, caramel peanuts, a cute little packet of Romany Creams, sour sweets, kudu biltong, etc.

On the road again – next stop Matjiesfontein (about 228 km) – Hein wanted to take pictures of the station for his uncle Johann (from Despatch – where we overnight on the previous roadtrip).  With stopping every 2 hours to stretch legs, the trip was really enjoyable.  Road wasn’t too busy, scenery changed every few 100 kilometres.  From yellow grass and few trees and really distant mountains, to lush green fields, loads of sheep (and babies), well-fed cattle, loads of trees and close hills and really blue mountains!  Wind pumps are dotted all over the fields.   

Through Laingsburg and arrived at Matjiesfontein after 4pm.  Years ago we overnighted in a room at the Lord Milner Hotel (http://www.matjiesfontein.com/rooms/the-lord-milner-hotel/) – it had 2 baths – connected and right next to each other.  Taps on opposite sides – perfect for a couple with different bath temperatures!  Also had a flat area in-between for glasses and treats.

I just had a quick look at their website and yes, some of the rooms still have the ‘double baths’.  Next to the station we stopped.  I walked around the car a few times to stretch my legs – Hein walked up to the train tracks – and walked into the museum to take photos.  The next moment, without any warning, a train came charging onto the tracks.  I nearly had a fit – hopefully people weren’t walking on the tracks!  Hein was lucky enough to take a video of the oncoming train and sent it to his uncle Johann.

After a quick bathroom stop, we now had to hustle … Cape Town was waiting.  As we drove towards Worcester, the sun set, it started to drizzle and I kept my eyes on the road for any animals or silly trucks.

Entering the Huguenot tunnel (part of the Du Toitskloof mountain) I regretted all the action movies showing car chases in a tunnel …. This tunnel is 3,9 km long and I was seriously a bit on edge ….

Drove past Paarl and then just about 1 hour away from Milnerton.  I sms’ed June (from Sunset Decks Guesthouse (http://www.sunsetdecks.co.za/) of our approximate arrival time and then I had to really focus with Hein on the road … gosh, these Capetonians can seriously not drive!  Slow drivers in the fast lane, a huge truck barging from the centre of the double highway, turning in front of us into the fast lane.  Luckily we weren’t that close to him.

Just after 7pm we stopped at the guesthouse.  Funnily enough, not tired at all.  Dumped our bags in the room and had a beer (Hein) and tea with June & Lance.  When we mentioned that we thought about ordering a pizza, June & Lance invited us along to the Ocean Basket in the Paddocks Centre (http://www.eatout.co.za/venue/ocean-basket-paddocks/) with their son Jaryd.  I offered to drive them and we grabbed our coats and left.

Last year Ocean Basket had this AMAZING soup – Smoked Snoek Soup.  Unfortunately they changed their menu and instead now have a Salmon and Potato Soup.  That’s what I ordered … and although it was a real tasty soup, it didn’t have the strong taste of the Snoek Soup.  The others had fish and chips and veggies – it all looked amazing!  Service was good and over wine, beers, Dom Pedro’s and cappuccino’s we had a smashing time.

Back in our room, after 9pm, I unpacked our bags and we tucked in for the night.

Saturday 23 June 2018
Lance was giving breakfast this morning, so we arranged for 8 am.  After dithering about what to wear, I finally walked up the stairs to the breakfast room.  I asked for brown toast and a fried egg.  Fresh filter coffee was waiting for me.  Hein had bacon, egg and toast.

9 am and we’re on the road.  We have a 12 o’ clock date with Wilhelm and Eleanor – friends that we’ve known for 27 years!  But we haven’t seen them in about 6 years.

Weather was chilly and windy, but no rain.  First a detour through Stellenbosch – Hein’s old res, my 1st flat (1985) – then onwards to Franschhoek in a light rain.  Gosh, FranschHoek has changed a lot – new shops, new buildings – thinking about coffee, we couldn’t find a parking spot, so we drove on to the FranschHoek pass.

My golly – WAS IT WINDY!!  When we reached the top of the pass, a vehicle with caravan was parked – jeez, is this guy mad???  I suppose that’s why he stopped!  Cannot imagine driving in that wind with a caravan.  Just as we started the descent of the pass … A CYCLIST APPEARED.  Now is HE ABSOLUTELY BONKERS????????  Surely he walked next to his bike for the rest of the pass!

Hein wanted to check the water level of the Theewaterskloof dam … wow, it was a really really sad picture!  Mounds of sand has shifted from the dam to the road – I can actually imagine it a perfect setting for horror movies.  Hein stopped on the bridge to take pictures … the wind was really strong and he clutched his phone for dear life!

Past the Steenbras dam – quite full, actually.  And then I noticed the rainbow … oh my goodness, it was just fabulous!  It was a perfect semi-circle in front of us.  But then, there was another one – a lot more faded, but noticeable!

As we drove towards Grabouw, the rainbow shifted … at one stage I swore we actually drove through the one end … sadly, no pot of gold appeared.

Our next stop The Orchard Farm Stall just outside Grabouw (https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g1931831-d2275240-Reviews-The_Orchard_Farm_Stall-Grabouw_Overberg_District_Western_Cape.html).  Quickly running to the bathrooms, the car guard said it was R2 … the wind was whipping my hair around my face!  You slide open the glass door, step inside this huge barn-like structure and wow …

After being given 2 x R2 coins, we quickly dashed off to the bathrooms, dashed back inside the farm stall and I grabbed a basket.  Our lunch date was soup – I was on ‘bread duty’.  And my goodness, were there a selection of fresh baked breads!!!!!  I chose a normal brown baked bread … then I chose 2 small rolls … then I discovered on the table’s other side … fresh light rye bread!  Oh my goodness, it all smelled amazing!!!!

Hein chose a few red wines (one was Gabriëlskloof), I chose some crisps, a jar of Gansbaai honey and a delicious-looking Apple Crumble Pie.  Searching the fridges, I couldn’t find any fresh cream.  Paid, dashed out to the car and on the road.  It was 11 am by now.

It was such a nostalgic drive – memories of APL cartons (one of Hein’s clients YEARS AGO!) If you’ve ever heard of APL cartons – the APL stands for Appels, Pere en Lemoene (apples, pears and oranges).

Over Sir Lowry’s pass we drove, taking pictures of where my youngest sis Carla and boyfriend Jan used to stay before they moved to Perth, Australia.  Phoning Eleanor, we arrived at their gate.

Wilhelm and Eleanor have 4 kids … Inge, Quintin, Mia and Emily.  We’ve known them from baby times!   It was raining quite a bit, but Quintin was stoking the lounge fireplace – it was lovely and cosy inside.  Hein, Wilhelm and Eleanor sampled the wines and, in the kitchen, the big pot of veggie soup was simmering.  The smell of celery was just sooo amazing!!!! 

While listening to background music and watching the wind and rain outside, we chatted about laminated flooring, online natural medicine magazines, growing chilies, camping, featuring in television series, animals and cars.

After 3pm we decided the soup’s ready.  Slicing the breads, Emily was standing like a stork (and Hein said his eldest brother Deon used to stand like that – it’s called the ‘stork balance stand test) while watching me tore the smaller buns apart.  Emily asked if she also can tear a bun – yes, go ahead.  When I asked Emily why she stood like that, she just said:  it’s comfortable.  When you go and search for ‘stork balance stand test’ it states if you cannot stand on 1 leg for 15-20 seconds, there’s something wrong with either your ankles, knee, back or ear.

Wilhelm grabbed a slice of the rye bread, spread real butter on it and when he bit into it, his words were:  ‘this is the chocolate cake of rye bread’.  Of course we all grabbed some of the rye bread and after biting into this buttery goodness, declared Wilhelm absolutely right!  It was a dark rye bread, but soft as a pillow!!!!!  Fantastic.  When we got home, I searched for a similar recipe, but besides the fact they all use yeast, I couldn’t readily find a shop that sells rye flour.

Opening more wine, pouring more tea (for me and Quintin), it was unanimously decided that we would need fresh cream for the Apple Crumble Pie.  I volunteered to drive and with Eleanor next to me, we headed for the nearest Spar … but just about 1 km away I decided to pop into the petrol station … and lo and behold, they had fresh cream!!  Woohoo.

Back at their house, Eleanor heated the oven for the pie and poured the cream in a container … and whipped it with a handstick blender!  Wow!!!  I wouldn’t have even thought of that!  Since her whisk was still packed away, she tried it and I learnt something new.

With the heated pie and whipped cream, we settled back and through sounds of ‘hmmmm’ and ‘aaaaaah’, most of the pie disappeared!  Everyone declared it a really good pie!  Emily LOOOOVED the whipped cream. 

Inge was at her flat but asked if we could fetch her – I jumped up again and with Eleanor’s navigation, we fetched her.  I haven’t seen Inge in …. Yonks!!!!!!  On our way back, we chatted a bit and as soon as we stopped at the house, I gave Inge a huuge hug! 

With a glass of red wine and some apple pie, I sat next to Inge and we chatted away.  It was time for us to leave … we gave Inge a lift back to her flat and drove back to Milnerton.  Parts of the highway are without streetlights and it’s really dark out there.

Close to the guesthouse, we stopped at the Steers for a nibble – chips topped with Jalapeno rings and bacon.  Yummy.

Back in our room, we relaxed for a bit and then to bed.  We had a really early morning ahead of us.

Sunday, 24 June 2018
We planned to leave at 6am, but both of us had trouble sleeping, so we woke at 6 am, showered, packed and left at 7am.  A loooooong drive ahead of us.

Without any coffee, we drove on towards the Engen 1-Stop, N1 close to Stellenbosch.  Ordered 2 breakfast buns at Wimpy with black coffee.  Deeeelish!!!!!  The Wimpy was busy, lots of bikers filling up on coffee and breakfast.

Hein decided we should stop again at Bloemfontein.  Every 2 hours we stopped for a quick leg-stretch.  At one of the stops, I bought a cappuccino.  I took an extra carton coffee cup together with a stirring stick (no plastic spoons) and bought a small packet of roasted cashew nuts and a berry-yoghurt drink.  I normally have Greek yoghurt with honey, cinnamon and sometimes salted peanuts at home as a snack.  In the car, I poured half of the berry-yoghurt drink in the extra coffee cup and added the cashews.  Stirred it and successfully ate it with the stirring stick.  It was good, but I just realized again … cashews are WAY too rich for me.

For the road, I also bought some chili biltong sticks and biltong slices.  Opened the chili sticks, had a bite and woweeeeee … it was just chili!!!!!  Luckily I still had some of the yoghurt drink to douse the ‘flames’.  Threw that in garbage bag … then tried the biltong slices – yuck, tasted off.

Hein booked us into the City Lodge in Bloemfontein.  It was a really long drive – but the weather was absolutely gorgeous!  Once again, we noticed the mountains and fields around us, but with a bit less enthusiasm.

5pm we arrived in Bloemfontein.  Tired, we relaxed in our room and Hein fetched me a black coffee and a cold beer for him.  Before we really ‘conked’ out, Hein went down to the restaurant to order room service dinner, I took a quick bath and cleaned my face.

Chicken green curry was my order – R50 – it was absolutely delicious!!!!!!!!!!  Quite a big portion, served with fluffy Basmati rice!!!  It hit the spot.

Hein ordered a beef and onion toasted sandwich with crisps.  Bedtime.

Monday, 25 June 2018
Got up at 6am, showered, Hein had instant coffee (I chose to not have anything), packed our car and at 7am we drove off towards Johannesburg.  It was minus 1 degree outside!!!!

At Kroonstad (around 8am), we stopped at a 1-stop, I bought a sausage roll for Hein and a fresh brown cheese-tomato sandwich, together with MUCH NEEDED black coffees.  Next to me a guy was gushing over the fact that this coffee spot had almond milk … so I told him about a program ‘Food Unwrapped’ – and how they asked the manufacturers … how do you milk an almond?  Hahahaha

Just after 10 am we stopped at our house.  Quickly unpacked the bags, I hopped into my car to fetch some medicine for my tickly throat and to fetch Sammy.

It was a fabulous weekend!  Although a bit exhausting in the end.

oo--oo

No comments:

Post a Comment