Thursday, May 14, 2020

2020 - April 16 - McDonalds breakfast at home - couscous dinner

Thursday 16 April 2020


Today I am thankful to the Golden Arches for inspiration....

Trying to get some more exercise in our day, Hein and I sometimes walk in the complex just after 6h30.  We've measured that 1 lap is 500 metres ... so we walk around twice to complete 1 kilometer.


After our 1km walk in the complex this morning at 06h30, we're having coffee in bed. Hein Pretorius said: I'm feeling like a McDonalds breakfast.

When we go on 'road trips', stopping at a McDonalds for a take-away breakfast is a treat.  I usually order the Breakfast Burger, cause I really don't like the texture of the Breakfast muffin.  But Hein loves it ... especially the hash brown with it!  I've had a bite sometimes, but found it a bit too oily.

I started working in the kitchen - every time he walked past, I'm like: don't look.

So I quickly baked some buns (they were a bit too small, but tasted great) - fried some hash browns in a pan, fried some sliced chicken polony and egg.

Then I used Wimpy mustard squeeze bottle for the Golden Arches. It was yummy.



COUSCOUS DINNER

Earlier this week we braaied pork chops & boerewors. So I made this easy peasy couscous salad.

I cut up the left-over chops & boerewors and mixed it with the couscous salad. Absolutely a must! Salad is prepared within 15 minutes. Dressing is sugar, oil & vinegar ... I grew up with this dressing for a green salad, but prefer it more over couscous or cooked pasta.

You can use any other raw/cooked vegetables - add any other protein as you like.


Couscous veg salad

½ cup raw couscous
½ cup boiling water
Seasonings
1 cup raw cabbage, chopped fine
1 big carrot, grated
3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped fine
Salt, pepper
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp vegetable oil


In heatproof seal-able container, put raw couscous with some seasonings – cover with boiling water – close tight and leave for 10 minutes. 

Water will be evaporated. This is important – WITH A FORK, carefully loosen and separate the grains – no clumps to be seen. Add the cabbage, carrot, egg, salt and pepper. In small bowl, beat the sugar, oil and vinegar together. Pour over the salad. Mix.
Recipe:  Alma Pretorius















No comments:

Post a Comment